[SOLVED] Will my PSU support my new GPU

Jul 10, 2019
Hello, I have just purchased EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING graphics card and a new 1440p monitor. I'm worried that my PSU is out of date or just plain not good enough and I wanted your guys opinion on this.

My Specs:
i7 7700k
MSI Z270-A PRO
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB DDR4
3TB 7200 RPM HDD
240GB SSD
Liquid Cooling PC Cyberpower
ATNG 800W 80+ Bronze ATA-800FB-B ( Semi-Modular PSU)

Now I tried doing some research on my PSU and I can't really find much.

The recommendation from the GPU says: Recommended 650W PSU
So I opened up my PC today again and I noticed that the PSU has a 6+2 pin & a 6 pin connector, the 2080ti I'm getting says it needs 2 8 pin connectors, so I was thinking of getting an adapter that I can put the 6+2 pin in to get 2 8 pins but I am afraid that I will ruin my GPU please help guys I am very excited about this GPU that should be coming in a few days but I've already spent sooo much money on the monitor and GPU that I really don't want to purchase another item. Here in Canada all the PSU's are over 100$ but if I have to I will, another issue is, the way my computer was built (I got it pre built - Cyberpower) it seems like my PSU is freaking connected to everything and seems impossible to remove I wouldn't even know what to do.

Last edited:
Solution
Don't even think about using that PSU with that GPU, NEVER use adaptors with a card that pulls power like that one will or you will start a fire.

You have a $1,400 GPU there, not worth the risk on that PSU.

You need to get a good HIGH QUALITY unit like below and at the min 650W, 750W is recommended though as that GPU can pull like 365W by itself.

Corsair RMX
EVGA G2
Seasonic Focus Plus or even better the Prime (Any)
Don't even think about using that PSU with that GPU, NEVER use adaptors with a card that pulls power like that one will or you will start a fire.

You have a $1,400 GPU there, not worth the risk on that PSU.

You need to get a good HIGH QUALITY unit like below and at the min 650W, 750W is recommended though as that GPU can pull like 365W by itself.

Corsair RMX
EVGA G2
Seasonic Focus Plus or even better the Prime (Any)

Reactions: jonnyguru
Solution
Jul 10, 2019
Last edited:
Alright I see now. The power supply is very important.

Okay I have found these two:

Seasonic Focus Plus 850W 80+ GOLD FULL MODULAR (SSR-850FX)
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/seasonic-850w-power-supply-ssr-850fx/13545791

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 80+ GOLD 850W
https://www.newegg.ca/evga-supernova-850-g2-220-g2-0850-xr-850w/p/N82E16817438018

Which one of these is the better one guys? I want to get one of those PSU
Thanks a lot by the way.

You don't need that much power. TJ Hooker already gave you two solid choices.

The problem with your current ATNG isn't that it's not "high enough wattage". The problem with it is that it's just not a very good PSU.

Jul 10, 2019
You don't need that much power. TJ Hooker already gave you two solid choices.

The problem with your current ATNG isn't that it's not "high enough wattage". The problem with it is that it's just not a very good PSU.

Oh okay, so I am okay with the 750W also.. alright yeah I just want to make sure I get a good power supply.

Maybe I'll check out the 750W PSU since I don't need that much power. Thanks bro

Jul 10, 2019
Ohhhhh okay so it's not just the power that's important! You can get a really good 750W that would be better than a mediocre 850W? Am I understanding this right, lets talk more.

I thought the more power it would be automatically better

Edit: I ended up getting this one btw guys thanks a lot for the help
SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold

Last edited:
Ohhhhh okay so it's not just the power that's important! You can get a really good 750W that would be better than a mediocre 850W? Am I understanding this right, lets talk more.

I thought the more power it would be automatically better

HOLY CRAP! No way. You really should read some PSU reviews. Right here on Tom's Hardware, they have one of the best PSU reviewers on the planet.

Edit: I ended up getting this one btw guys thanks a lot for the help
SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold

Good choice. And here's the Tom's Hardware review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-ssr-750fx-focus-plus-750-gold-psu,5206.html

Jul 10, 2019
Ugh.. starting to feel a bit guilty now.. I don't know man maybe I should just return this stuff it's starting to get a little expensive.

I told my mom I needed this stuff for programming (College starts in September) so shes buying it for me but I'm just buying it for gaming and now shes starting to ask questions and I don't know man but the freaking GPU.. Monitor.. PSU.. now I want a better Motherboard and a better CPU. It's starting to get way more expensive than I thought, and I don't even know much about this stuff.. I just wanted to kick some ass and take some names.

Dammit I feel like I'm not going to enjoy it as much now idk..

Jul 10, 2019
So I've been reading a bit about the i7 7700k + RTX 2080 Ti and I'm not really liking what I'm seeing.

What would you say my performance will be like on a 1440p 165Hz monitor with an i7 7700K @ 4.2 (4.6) OC compared to a lets say i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz on the same monitor, with the RTX.

Will my CPU bottleneck?

Edit: Running a comparison on gpucheck.com seems like the i7 is okay with most games on ultra settings with a 1440p but really suffers in 4k; https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti/intel-core-i7-7700k-4-20ghz/ I don't know how reliable that source is though since it's the first time I've used it.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/16.html

A 9900K only got ~6.5% higher FPS than an i3-8350K. An 8350K lacks hyperthreading and runs at a lower clock speed that your 7700K. Your 7700K will be fine.

If you're really concerned, why can't you just try it out with your 7700K and then if you find you're CPU bottlenecked upgrade then?

Yeah that's what I'm going to do. Thanks a lot man, you guys have been really helpful. The parts just came in today! A little late and it took me like 3 hours to setup the PSU, GPU and Monitor but it's here. I'm so glad I talked to you guys and got that new PSU I feel a lot better now about my new GPU. This thing is insane! Good lord there is a god! Don't worry I said hello to the folks and everyone.. they wont be seeing me for a while :) :) :) :)

eDK0QlW.jpg

Yeah that's what I'm going to do. Thanks a lot man, you guys have been really helpful. The parts just came in today! A little late and it took me like 3 hours to setup the PSU, GPU and Monitor but it's here. I'm so glad I talked to you guys and got that new PSU I feel a lot better now about my new GPU. This thing is insane! Good lord there is a god! Don't worry I said hello to the folks and everyone.. they wont be seeing me for a while :):):):)

eDK0QlW.jpg

Hard to believe you were going to try to power that with an old ATNG PSU. :D

Reactions: d0rwin