Oct 18, 2019
Hey, I want to upgrade my current gpu to the EVGA RTX 2060 (The 1 fan version) but it says on their website that the recommended power usage is 500w while my psu has only 450w. Will this be a problem? Because I checked on a site that calculates power supply usage and it says I need 455w to run my whole system.

Last edited:
Solution
Yes. May well be a problem.

Those online power calculators can be useful but you should check a couple more sites and determine if there is a consensus on the recommended power requirements.

And remember that most component power wattages are established under ideal circumstances for "power saving" purposes and claims.

You are not leaving any room for growth.

My rule of thumb is to add up the component wattages (all components) and add 25% more.

Using your required 455 watts the PSU would be 569 watts (rounded). Therefore 600 watts.

Which would also be comfortably above the GPU's recommended 500 watts.

There may be other ideas and thoughts regarding the matter - fine with me.

Ralston18

Titan

Those online power calculators can be useful but you should check a couple more sites and determine if there is a consensus on the recommended power requirements.

And remember that most component power wattages are established under ideal circumstances for "power saving" purposes and claims.

My rule of thumb is to add up the component wattages (all components) and add 25% more.

Using your required 455 watts the PSU would be 569 watts (rounded). Therefore 600 watts.

Solution
Oct 18, 2019

Thank you!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psus are not all created equal. There's a vast multitude of very mediocre and junk psus that for some odd reason, resemble doorstops. Ppl selling gpus know this, as do (crazily) psu calculators. So psus are often well oversized for real usage.

If you had a top line quality 450w psu, that'd be plenty enough for a 2060. Recommended is going to be 500w, just to cover the calculators butt, and for any doorstop resembling a junk psu, 600w+ would be better advised.

So is 450w enough? Yep, depending on what you have.

Also have to take into consideration maximums. That 455w quoted is all fans, all drives, cpu, gpu, ram, motherboard running at 100% maximum wattage. Which never happens, can't happen. You'd have to manually crank every fan, run Prime95 small fft, memtest64, crystal disk info on every drive, as well as furmark on the gpu, all simultaneously to get that kind of output from the psu. Which doesn't happen. Even with Heavy gaming, you'd be looking at @ 70% psu loads at best. Pulling @ 350-370w would be more accurate overall. Well within a quality 450w range, but a little high for mediocre and well over the 50% range of junk vs claimed wattage.

You don't need 455w to run the system, it'll run on less than 100w, you need 455w to cover any possible maximum wattage use. There's a difference.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019
Psus are not all created equal. There's a vast multitude of very mediocre and junk psus that for some odd reason, resemble doorstops. Ppl selling gpus know this, as do (crazily) psu calculators. So psus are often well oversized for real usage.

If you had a top line quality 450w psu, that'd be plenty enough for a 2060. Recommended is going to be 500w, just to cover the calculators butt, and for any doorstop resembling a junk psu, 600w+ would be better advised.

So is 450w enough? Yep, depending on what you have.

Also have to take into consideration maximums. That 455w quoted is all fans, all drives, cpu, gpu, ram, motherboard running at 100% maximum wattage. Which never happens, can't happen. You'd have to manually crank every fan, run Prime95 small fft, memtest64, crystal disk info on every drive, as well as furmark on the gpu, all simultaneously to get that kind of output from the psu. Which doesn't happen. Even with Heavy gaming, you'd be looking at @ 70% psu loads at best. Pulling @ 350-370w would be more accurate overall. Well within a quality 450w range, but a little high for mediocre and well over the 50% range of junk vs claimed wattage.

You don't need 455w to run the system, it'll run on less than 100w, you need 455w to cover any possible maximum wattage use. There's a difference.
I have a psu from a brand named AcBel, there is a sticker with the words "80 plus bronze" on the psu and they're website is chinese so I dont understand a word. What software should I download on my pc that lets me check my psu name?

Oct 18, 2019
OK, I tried to figure out what PSU I have and I found out I have a weird PSU from a Chinese company and I found some guy selling it on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/p/2122055067). The PSU is not listed on the company's website for some reason.

I went on some more PSU usage calculators and most of them say I need 336-455W to run my pc.

I'm not sure about what to do, I have 2 options:
  1. buy the GPU and hope that it will work with 450W like most of the calculators say. and save 80 bucks
  2. be safe and buy a 550-600W PSU so I can be sure it will run okay. but I will need to get into all the trouble of finding what connectors I need and what the PSU has.

pls help

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
AcBel is about as far away from a quality gaming built/designed psu as its possible to get and still claim to be a psu. You'd be seriously lucky to get 50% loads and not fry something.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

All the above are in the same exact quality range. Look at rated wattage vrs actual load.
There isn't an AcBel of any wattage or 80+ rating I'd trust to run any kind of expensive gpu. I'd give serious consideration to the purchase of a known good psu of appropriate wattage before the AcBel decides its time to blow. Which it will. Soon after you install the gpu.

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($81.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)

I'd jump on the Corsair RM at that price for that wattage. It's easily comparable to the Evga G3.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019
AcBel is about as far away from a quality gaming built/designed psu as its possible to get and still claim to be a psu. You'd be seriously lucky to get 50% loads and not fry something.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

All the above are in the same exact quality range. Look at rated wattage vrs actual load.
There isn't an AcBel of any wattage or 80+ rating I'd trust to run any kind of expensive gpu. I'd give serious consideration to the purchase of a known good psu of appropriate wattage before the AcBel decides its time to blow. Which it will. Soon after you install the gpu.

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($81.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)

I'd jump on the Corsair RM at that price for that wattage. It's easily comparable to the Evga G3.
Does the PSUs you linked have the same connectors i need? im not sure how to check what connectors i need?

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Oct 18, 2019
Oh no I was about to buy the GPU and the PSU and I just realized the PSU is too big for my case. I have little room for a psu in my case and the one I have now is 130mm in depth and the corsair one is 160mm.

What can i do?