Will my PSU work with the upcoming R9 3XX Series?

Greyhart

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Hello I'm planning on upgrading my rig when the new R9 series arrive, my current specs are:

AMD Phenom II X4 980BE @ 4GHz
G.Skill RipJaws 4GB DDR3 x2(8GB)
Asus M4N75TD (Sadly with PCI-E 2.0 @ 8x)
Zotac GeForce 470 GTX AMP! @ 877Mhz
OCZ ModXStream PRO 600W 80+ (6-Pin + 6+2-Pin)
http://www.geek-cube.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/oczmodxstreampro600w.jpg

First, I know there will be some (if not a lot) bottleneck from the CPU, but currently I only have money to upgrade MOBO+CPU or GPU, and I think I'll see more improvement upgrading the GPU.

My question is: With my current PSU and considering the current R9 280(X)/290(X) power requirements, will I be able to make the card (R9 3XX series) work?

My PSU have 2x(modular) PCI 8-Pin outputs but only one the cables is 6+2-pin, the other one is 6-pin. Considering there are some GPUs that use 2x8-pin, could I just remove that 6-pin cable and plug another 6+2-pin one without problem? Or may I just search for a GPU with 2x6-pin or 6-pin and 6+2-pin?

Sorry if I didn't explain it clearly, I'm spanish! And thanks in advance!

Solution
It's not a great PSU in terms of reliability etcq but as such it will have enough power to supply as the 3xx series are simply redressed remarketed and retuned 2xx series cards...nothing new or revolutionary there.

It's the Fury cards which will be different.

So ignoring all the other things I am holding back and that are screaming inside my head.

The psu should deliver enough power, yes.

DasHotShot

Honorable
It's not a great PSU in terms of reliability etcq but as such it will have enough power to supply as the 3xx series are simply redressed remarketed and retuned 2xx series cards...nothing new or revolutionary there.

It's the Fury cards which will be different.

So ignoring all the other things I am holding back and that are screaming inside my head.

The psu should deliver enough power, yes.

Solution

DasHotShot

Honorable
Aaaaarrrghhh ok

OCZ: Went Bankrupt in 2013 as they were simply muscled out by better manufacturers. Their quality was very low, their prices were sort of high and they made too many things badly rather than focus on a few things properly.

Their PSU's are REALLY bad and I could never recommend anyone uses one with a clear conscience.

My bro uses my old PC which ad similar specs to yours...to say it is underpowered is a GRAND understantement. To say it will bottleneck...same. You can put in a new mega powerful GPU however if the settings ingame aren't right, the performance will instable and shockingly under what it should/could be.

A CPU has become important now, simple as.

Then there is the 4 gig of ram...it is simple not gonna be enough soon...it almost isn't now. You need more of it really but not old low speed high CL stuff.

To top it all off you have PCIe 2 like you say yourself...that is a BIG problem.

Overall:

Save up and upgrade everything. Whacking in a GPU will be a short term semi fix...

Thanks MarkW, I feel good now.

Greyhart

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Well I know it's not the best PSU. I built my PC in 2010 and I never had any problem with it. I said I have 2x4GB RAM sticks, so I have 8GB. I'm playing at 1680x1050 and don't have any plans to upgrade my monitor. I know I have to change my cpu and motherboard too but at the moment I don't have that much money so now I only want to know if my PSU will supply enough power to a newer card, and you already answered that. Thanks :).

Bravo.

One tiny little point to add to that. Toshiba purchased OCZ out of bankruptcy, killed the Power Supply portion of the company, and then invested significant amounts of money into turning OCZ's SSD business into a well run company that tested everything to Toshiba's standards, which are set very high.

Toshiba is one of the 3 brands I will buy hard drives from, and one of the other 2 companies is also a Toshiba company.

DasHotShot

Honorable

I know...in this case though I mention the backstory because his OCZ component is sadly not Toshiba supervised.

It's a shame about OCZ...they wer early adopters and always tried to be at the cutting edge on certain tech. They paid the price for it.