[SOLVED] Will my ram fit?

kurulay5

Honorable
Sep 17, 2018
Hi. Will my Patriot Viper Blackout series 1x4gb ddr4 3000mhz fit in a system with prime a320m-k and a Crucial CT8G4DFRA266.C8FN 1x8GB? There are two ram slots and one is filled with that 1x8gb ram

Solution
If I do try it and it doesn't work will it damage the system or the ram stick in anyway? If not and I install it anyway let's just say I manage to get them at 2666mhz would 12gb 2666mhz be better than 8gb 3000mhz (I'm actually not sure of his ram speed but I'm assuming it is 3000mhz)?
The only way the ram will damage anything is if the voltage is set too high, but it shouldn't need to be changed if you are limited to 2666. Otherwise, assuming both modules work together, you should be fine. Just know that with an 8GB and 4GB module installed for 12GB total, you will only have dual channel mode up to 8GB between those two modules. Beyond 8GB you will be dropped down to single channel mode which may affect your performance if...

kurulay5

Honorable
Sep 17, 2018
Well, it fits but getting both RAM sticks running at the same time is 50:50 chance. Also, even if you get both running, their speed will be 2666 Mhz, if you're lucky. If not, you're looking towards 2133 Mhz.

Btw, it's bad idea to mix RAMs,
further reading: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/
If I do try it and it doesn't work will it damage the system or the ram stick in anyway? If not and I install it anyway let's just say I manage to get them at 2666mhz would 12gb 2666mhz be better than 8gb 3000mhz (I'm actually not sure of his ram speed but I'm assuming it is 3000mhz)?

The only way the ram will damage anything is if the voltage is set too high, but it shouldn't need to be changed if you are limited to 2666. Otherwise, assuming both modules work together, you should be fine. Just know that with an 8GB and 4GB module installed for 12GB total, you will only have dual channel mode up to 8GB between those two modules. Beyond 8GB you will be dropped down to single channel mode which may affect your performance if running games or programs that require more ram. A single 8GB module will be running in single channel mode.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS