[SOLVED] Will my ram work with Ryzen 2700x?

Feb 21, 2019
Hey guys, I got some ram very cheap a few weeks ago(G Skills TridentZ RGB DDR4 3000 f4-3000C16D-16GTZR) for a new PC build. Now it's time to buy a CPU and motherboard to match. I do 3d modeling and rendering so I think the Ryzen 2700 or 2700x would be great for me because of the multicores and threads but I read that my ram may not work so well with the Ryzen 2 series? Then I read that the ram should be fine as long as it is listed on the specific motherboard's QVL? This is slightly confusing and I don't want to buy the CPU only to find out the ram is hindered. Can anyone clarify this please?

Solution
Thanks for that. I'm not worried that the Motherboard won't support the ram per se. Just that the ram might not be a good match for the Ryzen 2 series.

It was really only the first generation Ryzen where the RAM was an issue but that's been sorted out with the 2nd generation and will be even more cleaned up when Ryzen 3 releases. I run Corsair Vengeance on my R5-2600 setup and it works perfectly fine. The issues really arise when DOCP (XMP) is enabled and you start overclocking. Otherwise you're fine with anything 3000 and above and you have a strong B450 or X470 motherboard.

mtracy1991

Reputable
Hey guys, I got some ram very cheap a few weeks ago(G Skills TridentZ RGB DDR4 3000 f4-3000C16D-16GTZR) for a new PC build. Now it's time to buy a CPU and motherboard to match. I do 3d modeling and rendering so I think the Ryzen 2700 or 2700x would be great for me because of the multicores and threads but I read that my ram may not work so well with the Ryzen 2 series? Then I read that the ram should be fine as long as it is listed on the specific motherboard's QVL? This is slightly confusing and I don't want to buy the CPU only to find out the ram is hindered. Can anyone clarify this please?

What are you confused about on the motherboards memory QVL list?
I may be able to help you understand that so you can have the available information for the future.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

The base clock speed of the RAM is slower than the CPU can handle so if anything the CPU Will be hindered by the RAM :) only marginally though i think. You can overclock it but i think it will be fine as is.

Reactions: megadeth_00

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
RAM is DDR4(4x8GB sticks) if that helps. Will the speed be hindered though because they are not Ryzen approved?

It just means that specific RAM model hasn't been tested with the CPU. Testing with certain RAM sticks would allow the manufacturer to give accurate and somewhat reproducible results when showing performance to make test results more transparent and to offer recommendations on which RAM definitely works and works best with the CPU. G skill is quite a big brand so i doubt there will be any issues.

Reactions: megadeth_00
Feb 21, 2019

mtracy1991

Reputable
To lessen your confusion, these were tested sticks for the mobo. Don't get discouraged if your RAM isn't listed, if the board supports DDR4....DDR4 will work from any vendor. I believe if the MHz match what is required, you're good. It's just some RAM work better with mobos and cpus better than others.

Feb 21, 2019
To lessen your confusion, these were tested sticks for the mobo. Don't get discouraged if your RAM isn't listed, if the board supports DDR4....DDR4 will work from any vendor. I believe if the MHz match what is required, you're good. It's just some RAM work better with mobos and cpus better than others.

Thanks for that. I'm not worried that the Motherboard won't support the ram per se. Just that the ram might not be a good match for the Ryzen 2 series.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
Thanks for the reply. Should I have gotten 3200 ram instead?
No the CPU supports 2933Mhz i think you will notice little difference with the extra 800mhz though. If you did want to test the performance boost that RAM has been tested at 3000MHz safely by G.Skill themselves so i think overclocking under that amount would be fine even for prolonged use.

EDIT: You could get higher clock speed RAM in theory but it will be reduced to match the supported 2933Mhz anyway so it would be a waste as far as i understand it.

Feb 21, 2019
No the CPU supports 2933Mhz i think you will notice little difference with the extra 800mhz though. If you did want to test the performance boost that RAM has been tested at 3000MHz safely by G.Skill themselves so i think overclocking under that amount would be fine even for prolonged use.

EDIT: You could get higher clock speed RAM in theory but it will be reduced to match the supported 2933Mhz anyway so it would be a waste as far as i understand it.

Oh I got 3000Mhz.

g-unit1111

Titan

It was really only the first generation Ryzen where the RAM was an issue but that's been sorted out with the 2nd generation and will be even more cleaned up when Ryzen 3 releases. I run Corsair Vengeance on my R5-2600 setup and it works perfectly fine. The issues really arise when DOCP (XMP) is enabled and you start overclocking. Otherwise you're fine with anything 3000 and above and you have a strong B450 or X470 motherboard.

Reactions: 010010
Solution
Feb 21, 2019
Very good to know! Thanks heaps for that.