Question Will my Roland Rubix 22 support 250ohm headphones?

Nov 17, 2019
So the issue is, i have no clue how this whole ohm thing works, i‘ve heard that it may work on some audio interfaces and on some it may require a separat amp, issue is, i literally don‘t know how to check if my audio interface can output to 250ohms or not

Audio interface: Roland Rubix 22
Headphones: beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 250ohm

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
It would run them but not very loud. To make things simple the output is rated at 110 db @ 47Ω max. Moving to 250Ω is going to cut the output to something like 65db.

65db on a pair of open backs is going to require a room with pretty much no ambient noise.

A Rubix22 is a pretty low power device with a power requirement of .5 amps, it's to be expected that the output is going to be fairly low.

Nov 17, 2019
It would run them but not very loud. To make things simple the output is rated at 110 db @ 47Ω max. Moving to 250Ω is going to cut the output to something like 65db.

65db on a pair of open backs is going to require a room with pretty much no ambient noise.

A Rubix22 is a pretty low power device with a power requirement of .5 amps, it's to be expected that the output is going to be fairly low.
Thanks for the quick reply, so would u recommend going for the 80Ohm version? or even the 32ohm one?

Jan 18, 2022
For what it's worth, I have a Roland Rubix44 and a Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250 Ohm and for me it's working ok.
I had the same concerns about being able to drive them well enough because those Rubix interfaces don't have particularly powerful headphone amps.
But I found it actually surprising how little difference the impedance makes. Sure I have to turn the volume up a bit more than my 37 Ohm and 60 Ohm headphones, but it still handles ny 250 Ohm DT880 well enough for most cases. In live recording sessions in loud environments you might want invest in an headphone amp though (they don't need to be expensive).
The Rubix + 250 Ohm 770s aren't going to blow your head off, but can still get plenty loud. I have my volume knob at about halfway for a comfortable listening level for mixing my home music productions.

I'd say make your choice not based on 80 Ohm or 250 Ohm when it comes to the 770s, but based on the difference in sound between the 2. The 80 Ohm 770s have slightly more bass, the 250 Ohm sounds slightly more detailed. The 32 Ohm version sounds a bit more similar to the 250 Ohm, but is less comfy (and has a quite short cable). The 32 Ohm is probably mostly meant for plugging into your phone on the go.

Feb 29, 2024
I use Roland Rubix 22 with DT 770 250ohm and they sound amazing at around 70-80% volume, going louder than that hurts my eardrums, not sure where the tech specs of 110 db @ 47ohm comes from, nothing is mentioned on their website, also DT 770 are closed back, not open back so there is almost no surround noise coming through