Honorable
May 9, 2017
Ryzen 5 1600
Ram 8 gb
Motherboard b350 gaming editon
Current vga 1050 ti zotac OC ver
PSU 550 watt seasonic focus gold

With 3 harddisk and 1 ssd m.2

Is it cappable and will it run atleast above 80% performance if it paired with my ryzen ?

I wqnted to buy RTX 2070

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
As strong as a current RTX is, it's only real purpose is 4k either 60Hz or 144Hz. Neither one poses a serious challenge to the cpu.

Cpu sets the fps limits, it's upto the gpu to live upto them according to details and resolution. So if the game allows a cpu to set a 100fps limit and you swamp the gpu in settings and resolution and end up with 50fps, that's all on the gpu. Dropping the settings and resolution to allow the gpu to hit 200fps, isn't going to raise the cpu set limits, you'll still only get 100. That doesn't mean the cpu is a bottleneck, it just means the gpu is overpowering a reasonable limit by not doing much of anything. OC, stronger cpus, game optimizations etc might raise that limit, but not the gpu.

A bottleneck is a component that slows down the flow of info from source to monitor. The cpu doesn't slow the flow, ever, it sets the flow limits. Ram, hdds can be bottlenecks, as can the gpu as all can choke the flow, lowering it below the limit set by the cpu. Games themselves and the engines, optimizations, scripts and code can be bottlenecks as well, but not the cpu.

InvalidError

Titan

Most people would call anything that "sets a limit" a bottleneck - if you want to achieve higher performance, you need to replace that part with a higher performance one, and that's why Intel is dominating the high-end competitive gaming arena where people are aiming for 144-240fps.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Eh Invalid, I guess its a matter of perspective. Any cpu can be swamped, given the right circumstances, but by taking the stand that all the rest of the components live upto the cpus ability, all you end up with is a balanced system. By dumping stuff like NVMe, massive high speed ram, uber powerful gpu on a pentium cpu base, the cpu isn't a bottleneck, it'll give what it's able, you've just over powered its ability to produce desired results. High temp throttling, badly optimized games etc can cause the cpu to bottleneck, that's slowing down the flow that's capable,

InvalidError

Titan

The very definition of bottleneck is something that limits throughput, the reason (such as user expecting more than a given CPU can deliver) doesn't matter. If the CPU is the weakest link in the system for a given task, that's the very definition of bottleneck - performance being limited primarily by the CPU.

A "balanced" system still has bottlenecks. The only reason they are called balanced is because the CPU and GPU are about equally likely to be the dominant bottleneck when looking at a broad selection of relevant workloads.