[SOLVED] Will my setup do well with the 2060 and be able to use it well?

Sep 22, 2020
I want to upgrade from my 1050 TI and I was thinking the 1660s but I see less then 100 I can get the 2060 instead. I do need to get an SSD still. Will my setup accommodate the 2060 well?

My setup:
MoBo: Asus PRIME A320M-K
Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600
Gpu: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB
Power Source: Kratos M1-550W

Solution
so far with my pc i go from games like minecraft, to 7 days to die, Arma2/3, Dayz, the forest, Car Mechanic Sim, Dead by daylight, there are others for certain. there are some games in the future I want to get that are early access or in the process of being made. I am very wary of overclocking because I know it can/does shorten the life of the part and I know my current MB doesnt allow certain things to overclock.

Minecraft, Arma, Dayz, The Forest.. all very cpu bound games.

As you may have a high top fps, your low fps may cause u to stutter at times. Is basically what Im trying to get at. Its up to you what you will do with that info :)

Either way, youll get a better experience with the new GPU, but it may come with...
I would suggest you get the 2060 super instead, imo. Also, a gpu upgrade is always the best upgrade to make in your system to get more fps in games. And yes you will get a substantial amount more fps!

WITH THAT SAID... the cpu though. I had the 2600 with my 2060 super. And the CPU struggled to keep up with what the 2060 super was capable of.

If your a competative gamer and turn most games to lower graphics to get more fps, is where you might run into an issue with the 2600. Still some issues at higher settings as well, but moreso when they are lower settings. The lower your settings and resolution, the more the cpu works to render the game. SO by turning down your graphics your working the CPU harder and depending on how well the CPU is, in those cases, will determine your gaming experience. The 2600 is good for 60-100fps gaming. But when paired with a 2060 super the 2600 struggled to maintain a higher fps on the low end. They call this the 1% lows.

In Apex Legends I was getting 200fps in most areas, but was dropping down to as low as 100fps in heavy areas, especially if in a gunfight. So if your a competative gamer and play games at lower graphics, you may want to consider a cpu upgrade in the future to get the most out of your new GPU.

Maybe that would be okay with you. Maybe you dont care about having lower 1% lows. Maybe your gaming on a 60hz monitor and dont care about frametimes/input lag.

But for me personally, with the 2060 super and the 2600, dropping from like 200fps in most areas in apex, down to like 100fps in the big main city in the middle of the new map, wasnt good for my experience. Im competative. I was able to "feel" it. Idk if you know about "frametimes", but its basically input lag. The higher your fps, the lower your input lag. Even on a 60hz monitor, yes its still best to have a high fps even though you cant see it, because of frametimes/input lag. And ofc, the lower your fps, the higher the frametime/input lag.

I upgraded my CPU to a r7 3800x and now my 1% lows are 140fps, still basically 200fps in most areas, but there was a slight boost to the max fps and it now sits more around 215fps in most areas. So improvements on both ends.

Just something to keep in mind if you get the 2060 and wonder why your possibly not getting smooth performance across the board.

EDIT: Here is a video someone made benchmarking the 2060 super with the 2600. Pay attention to the Avg fps, and the 1% and even the 0.1% lows. Even in the 1st game of the video, you can see the pretty big difference of the Avg fps and the 1% lows. The avg is 71, and you can see the 1% low drop to 27 at some point in the 1st game. As a result, the game "skips". Take a look. This is what Im talking about when I say "smooth performance across the board"
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhlI0qJyfsE

Last edited:
Reactions: ThugPug98
Sep 22, 2020
I would suggest you get the 2060 super instead, imo. Also, a gpu upgrade is always the best upgrade to make in your system to get more fps in games. And yes you will get a substantial amount more fps!

WITH THAT SAID... the cpu though. I had the 2600 with my 2060 super. And the CPU struggled to keep up with what the 2060 super was capable of.

If your a competative gamer and turn most games to lower graphics to get more fps, is where you might run into an issue with the 2600. Still some issues at higher settings as well, but moreso when they are lower settings. The lower your settings and resolution, the more the cpu works to render the game. SO by turning down your graphics your working the CPU harder and depending on how well the CPU is, in those cases, will determine your gaming experience. The 2600 is good for 60-100fps gaming. But when paired with a 2060 super the 2600 struggled to maintain a higher fps on the low end. They call this the 1% lows.

In Apex Legends I was getting 200fps in most areas, but was dropping down to as low as 100fps in heavy areas, especially if in a gunfight. So if your a competative gamer and play games at lower graphics, you may want to consider a cpu upgrade in the future to get the most out of your new GPU.

Maybe that would be okay with you. Maybe you dont care about having lower 1% lows. Maybe your gaming on a 60hz monitor and dont care about frametimes/input lag.

But for me personally, with the 2060 super and the 2600, dropping from like 200fps in most areas in apex, down to like 100fps in the big main city in the middle of the new map, wasnt good for my experience. Im competative. I was able to "feel" it. Idk if you know about "frametimes", but its basically input lag. The higher your fps, the lower your input lag. Even on a 60hz monitor, yes its still best to have a high fps even though you cant see it, because of frametimes/input lag. And ofc, the lower your fps, the higher the frametime/input lag.

I upgraded my CPU to a r7 3800x and now my 1% lows are 140fps, still basically 200fps in most areas, but there was a slight boost to the max fps and it now sits more around 215fps in most areas. So improvements on both ends.

Just something to keep in mind if you get the 2060 and wonder why your possibly not getting smooth performance across the board.

EDIT: Here is a video someone made benchmarking the 2060 super with the 2600. Pay attention to the Avg fps, and the 1% and even the 0.1% lows. Even in the 1st game of the video, you can see the pretty big difference of the Avg fps and the 1% lows. The avg is 71, and you can see the 1% low drop to 27 at some point in the 1st game. As a result, the game "skips". Take a look. This is what Im talking about when I say "smooth performance across the board"
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhlI0qJyfsE
I personally dont do much shooter games on pc especially apex or cod just because I struggle to get the feel for it and all my progress is on xbox and doesnt transfer over. I dont turn my graphics down for frames, I like to get the best visuals that I can while currently doing my best to stay at at least 60 fps. I have read that the ryzen 5 2600 has done people really well in things and it is a huge upgrade from the ryzen 3 1200 my pc came with. I was thinking just the normal 2060 for pricing. Is there a massive difference between the 2060 and its super? I know the super is always better

I personally dont do much shooter games on pc especially apex or cod just because I struggle to get the feel for it and all my progress is on xbox and doesnt transfer over. I dont turn my graphics down for frames, I like to get the best visuals that I can while currently doing my best to stay at at least 60 fps. I have read that the ryzen 5 2600 has done people really well in things and it is a huge upgrade from the ryzen 3 1200 my pc came with. I was thinking just the normal 2060 for pricing. Is there a massive difference between the 2060 and its super? I know the super is always better

Then maybe you wouldnt notice a huge difference in framtimes then if your more of a visual 60 fps rpg type of gamer. Then the 2600 would work just fine. It would still show some 1% lows that I wouldnt want in my personal rig, but you have to start somewhere and if you had to upgrade EITHER your gpu, or your cpu, in most cases, its ALWAYS the gpu 1st as it has the biggest impact on fps and performance. Also yes the 2600 is much better than your previous cpu. Its just that with bigger, more demanding titles coming and some you may even play yourself, it may lack the "smoothness" you would want. Even in current games like PUBg, or any cpu bound game such as dota, league, racing games, open world games like gta v, etc, the 1% lows could cause hiccups that may turn a good gaming experience with the 2060, into a, "I wish I had a better CPU" type of experience.

I say this, from experience, because I had the 2600 with my 2060 super lol.

With that said..

The 2060 super is quite a bit better than the regular 2060, for not much more cost. The great thing about the super, is you pay like 50$ more or so, and then you can overclock the gpu to basically be a 2070. Its far more worth it than the regular 2060, imo.

Sep 22, 2020
Then maybe you wouldnt notice a huge difference in framtimes then if your more of a visual 60 fps rpg type of gamer. Then the 2600 would work just fine. It would still show some 1% lows that I wouldnt want in my personal rig, but you have to start somewhere and if you had to upgrade EITHER your gpu, or your cpu, in most cases, its ALWAYS the gpu 1st as it has the biggest impact on fps and performance. Also yes the 2600 is much better than your previous cpu. Its just that with bigger, more demanding titles coming and some you may even play yourself, it may lack the "smoothness" you would want. Even in current games like PUBg, or any cpu bound game such as dota, league, racing games, open world games like gta v, etc, the 1% lows could cause hiccups that may turn a good gaming experience with the 2060, into a, "I wish I had a better CPU" type of experience.

I say this, from experience, because I had the 2600 with my 2060 super lol.

With that said..

The 2060 super is quite a bit better than the regular 2060, for not much more cost. The great thing about the super, is you pay like 50$ more or so, and then you can overclock the gpu to basically be a 2070. Its far more worth it than the regular 2060, imo.
so far with my pc i go from games like minecraft, to 7 days to die, Arma2/3, Dayz, the forest, Car Mechanic Sim, Dead by daylight, there are others for certain. there are some games in the future I want to get that are early access or in the process of being made. I am very wary of overclocking because I know it can/does shorten the life of the part and I know my current MB doesnt allow certain things to overclock.

Last edited:

As you may have a high top fps, your low fps may cause u to stutter at times. Is basically what Im trying to get at. Its up to you what you will do with that info :)

Either way, youll get a better experience with the new GPU, but it may come with its faults using the 2600 cpu :)

Solution
Sep 22, 2020

Either way, youll get a better experience with the new GPU, but it may come with its faults using the 2600 cpu :)
I get what your saying, what sort of CPU upgrade should I plan for to reduce the low 1% stuff? Also, what exactly makes a game more dependent on cpu vs gpu?

I get what your saying, what sort of CPU upgrade should I plan for to reduce the low 1% stuff? Also, what exactly makes a game more dependent on cpu vs gpu?

I would get a 3700 for the 2060 super/2060.

And it depends on graphic settings. The higher your graphics and resolution, the more the game relies on the gpu. The lower your graphics and resolution, the more it relies on the cpu.

Sep 22, 2020
Would it be worth another 80 or 90 for the 2070S? I read a article saying the 2600 would have the power to work with the 2070s and do high resolution and such. Something else I'm unsure of is when I look for certain pc parts, I see different prices on the same type like I will see a few different 2070s but they come from different companies. Does that matter much?