Question Will my setup support a EVGA 04G-P4-2974-KR 4GB GeForce GTX 970 SuperClocked Graphics Card?

Jun 15, 2019
I just bought a used EVGA 04G-P4-2974-KR 4GB GeForce GTX 970 SuperClocked Graphics Card on eBay and the seller is reputable, and stated the card works fine. So, I just swapped out my 750ti and put the 970 in, plugged in the PCI-E power, and turned things on.. No post. So, I turned things back off, took the GPU out, re-seated it, plugged the power back in, power on. No post. I do this a few more times, finally, the PC posts, and I am in Windows. The display looks pretty fugly, so I update drivers, go down for a reboot, stops posting. So I'm wondering if it's the card, or my PSU, or setup. Here's what I'm working with... My PSU is a Seasonic G-650 ... See attached images for the rest.. I just can't figure this out and don't have access to another system to test.. I will be taking things to a local shop and see if they can tell me if the card is bad.. or what I'm dealing with. Just thought I would reach out and see if anything I have could be causing an issue outside of it being the card itself.

I took the card to a local shop and he installed it into a system, it posted and booted fine first try.. Could this be completely random or is there something with my setup that I have wrong?

My System Setup

Jun 15, 2019
try uninstalling all drivers when you have the 750ti on, put the 970 back on and do a clean install of the nvidia drivers. Also try a bios update.
I'll check the BIOS.. but I can't even get it to post now.. My board sounds 2 short beeps after about 15 seconds of being powered on..

Just updated the BIOS to the latest version 4.10 .. Will see if that changed anything..

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019
I was able to get into Windows.. And this is what I saw.. So I was attempting to install drivers, screen went black, monitor didn't say 'no signal' but I had a black screen and I heard the Windows notification as if I had unplugged some device...

I was able to get into Windows.. And this is what I saw.. So I was attempting to install drivers, screen went black, monitor didn't say 'no signal' but I had a black screen and I heard the Windows notification as if I had unplugged some device...

Your GPU might be faulty, but before we jump on any conclusion, can you TEST the Video card on some other PC ? Also, are you on a FRESH Windows OS install ? IF not, then try doing a clean format of your SSD/HDD, if need be. Can you install the GPU drivers ?

Clear and reset ALL the CMOS/BIOS settings to default.

The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer. Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

This error code points out that the Hardware might also be defective, which is the GPU. But before we jump to any conclusion, check the card on some other PC as well.

What's the make/model number of your MOBO ? Can you properly boot your current system/OS, by using the 'Integrated Graphics processor' of your current Motherboard, assuming your board supports it ? Do you still get the same problem ? And, what about SAFE MODE ?

I just wanted to know what does it say under the DEVICE manager, "Display Adapters" settings, Microsoft Basic Windows Adapter" ?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019
Your GPU might be faulty, but before we jump on any conclusion, can you TEST the Video card on some other PC ? Also, are you on a FRESH Windows OS install ? IF not, then try doing a clean format of your SSD/HDD, if need be. Can you install the GPU drivers ?

Cleat and reset ALL the CMOS/BIOS settings to default.

The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer. Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

This error code points out that the Hardware might also be defective, which is the GPU. But before we jump to any conclusion, check the card on some other PC as well.

What's the make/model number of your MOBO ? Can you properly boot your current system/OS, by using the 'Integrated Graphics processor' of your current Motherboard, assuming your board supports it ? Do you still get the same problem ? And, what about SAFE MODE ?

I just wanted to know what does it say under the DEVICE manager, "Display Adapters" settings, Microsoft Basic Windows Adapter" ?
Yeah, the system works perfectly fine as long as I have the 750ti installed. Once I install the GTX 970, I randomly seem to be able to even post and get into the BIOS.. I don't have a system with me I can test this card in other than the one I'm using currently, but did take it to a shop and he was able to post and start Windows on the first try. I'll try clearing CMOS .. That's the one thing I haven't tried.

I would do a clean install of Windows, but I can't get that far 90% of the time. Biggest issue is getting the system to even post.

My motherboard is an ASRock Z370 Extreme4

Jun 15, 2019
Ok, so now I'm using the onboard GPU.. I have the 970 installed and it's showing up in device manager with no errors.. and it's showing info in CPU-Z now.. Let's see what happens when I switch..

Jun 15, 2019
Nothing.. I tried everything.. removing, installing.. Drivers, no drivers.. Onboard and external.. It showed up in Windows device manager once as being fine, did a reboot still using onboard GPU, and then it showed as the error and Windows reported issues.. It's going back.

Jun 15, 2019
Please kindly clarify this. You mean to say the Code 43 Error code is NOT displayed when you boot your PC via the onboard graphics, and it says GTX 970 ??
Upon first boot using the onboard GPU, with the 970 installed, yes. It displayed no issues. So I powered down, went into BIOS and switched to using an external PCI-E card as primary display.. And it went back to not posting.

Jun 15, 2019
Just wanted to post a quick update.. It was the GPU.. I bought another one, same make/model and it fired up instantly and is running fine!

Now, to get this other one going somehow, SLI?!? Is there any repair shops online/offline that evaluate GPUs for issues? I'm wondering if it's the cards' BIOS myself.. I have no idea if the original owner installed something that was incompatible or custom.. it's just not working on my system.