[SOLVED] Will my specs bottleneck a new 2080ti?

Reun

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
Hi, I'm tired of playing in low resolution, so I decided I want to purchase a new Asus Strix 2080 ti or at least a Strix 1080 ti. I'm looking to use it for 2k 144+fps gameplay. Here are my current specs:

CPUi7-6700 (normal, not the K version)5/6-year-old
Motherboard:Asrock B250M Pro41 year
Memory:16GB of DDR51 year
GPU: gtx 9705/6 year

My question is, will any of my specs bottleneck a new video card? And as a side question, will a 750W PSU be enough?

Solution
It will be a good setup. At 1440p your cpu will do ok, it might loose a few FPS compared to newer CPU’s but shouldn’t hold back a 2080Ti or if it does then only in certain games.

What make and model is the psu? Wattage alone is fairly meaningless as quality is equally important.

Have you looked at the 2080 Super. Very strong card for 1440p 144Hz and significantly cheaper.
It will be a good setup. At 1440p your cpu will do ok, it might loose a few FPS compared to newer CPU’s but shouldn’t hold back a 2080Ti or if it does then only in certain games.

What make and model is the psu? Wattage alone is fairly meaningless as quality is equally important.

Have you looked at the 2080 Super. Very strong card for 1440p 144Hz and significantly cheaper.

Reactions: Reun
Solution

Reun

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019

I heard cooler master has a great reputation, so I would go with their Cooler Master V750W Gold certificate version.
I just checked the 2080Super, and my only problem is, that today I want to buy a video card strong enough, that for the next 5 years I can play all new games at their highest without having to spend tons for each new gen of video cards.

Last edited:
I heard cooler master has a great reputation, so I would go with their Cooler Master V750W Gold certificate version.
I just checked the 2080Super, and my only problem is, that today I want to buy a video card strong enough, that for the next 5 years I can play all new games at their highest without having to spend tons for each new gen of video cards.
No such gpu exists. I’ve got a GTX780 in a second pc, when it came out 6 years ago it was considered overkill for 1080p and people generally recommend the 770. It’s now only just passable at 1080p with medium settings or lower in the newest games.

You are better off buying a 2080 or 2080 Super now and then upgrading again in 2-3 years. Total cost should be the same over 5 years but in years 4 & 5 you will most likely have a gpu far stronger than a 2080Ti. Have a look back at the 980Ti and 1080Ti, those top end cards are quickly brought down a level or 2 when new generations come out.