Will my stock CPU cooler enough for overclocking?

Looeelooee1

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Hello to all! I am planning on buying an Athlon X4 860K, and then overclocking it to around 4.2-4.4 ghz. will the stock cooler be able to handle this, (i dont mind if it gets kinda warm as long as none of my parts get fried) or will i need a better cooler? if i do need a better cooler, will something like this be good enough - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2
any help much a appreciated thanks in advance, here are my current cpu specs (with that cpu installed), http://pcpartpicker.com/user/llevene/saved/pbbzK8

Solution
get the hyper 212 evo the stock cooler isnt very good for OCing and will be pretty loud plus it should give you a higher overhead for for OCing

A wise choice you never try to overclock a CPU with the stock cooler. The CM Hyper 212 EVO has been around awhile and been a good solution. +1 to adaday., give him best rec.

Ecs is not synonymous with quality for starters+ it doesn't officially even support the 860k
It has a weak vrm set with no heatsinks.
Overclocking with amd overdrive pushes considerably more voltage through the CPU than bios overclocking does which is actually safer.

If you must have a play at overclocking then an evo is not a good choice - you want a big flat blower to offer vrm cooling - which offhand the only 2 reasonable priced ones are the deepcool Gabriel & raijintek Pallas.

If you don't have these components purchased yet there are better options depending on your country?

Looeelooee1

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
yea i haven't purchased anything yet and im in the usa, so if i were to buy a really powerful cpu cooler i could get away with oclocking with an ecs board? also what does vrm set and heatsink mean with the mobo sorry im a complete noob. i guess then once i get the parts i will try and overclock with the bios instead of overdrive. i did check and the mobo is compatible with the 860k (i had another post and someone said it was fine)

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014

VRM is voltage regulation module - this is the thing that handles the voltage that your cpu needs/uses.
Heatsink is what disperses heat away from a part - essentially what helps to keep the part cool in your case the VRM much like the cooler on your CPU works.

Anyway yeah OCing on that board would be pretty risky. If you have the budget get a better board when you can, one that can handle OCing much better than the current one you have that one you have is a very basic one. Good brands for OCing are typically Gigabyte, ASUS and ASRock (but that is open to debate as to which brand is the best, Varies from board to board)

Its $18 more than your build but worth it & also includes faster ram & a 1tb hard drive.
While the board is only rated at 100w the same as the ecs have nobdoubt that it is ingintely better quality (Asus use excellent quality caps on the vrm's).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK PALLAS 56.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus A68HM-Plus Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($97.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99)
Other: Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) (Purchased)
Other: Generic Amazon Mouse (Purchased)
Other: Logitech Speakers (Purchased)
Other: Tripp Lite DVI Dual Link Cable ($8.99)
Other: Generic Keyboard (Purchased)
Other: 6 Outlet Power Strip (Purchased)
Other: 8 GB USB Flash Drive To Install Windows (Purchased)
Other: VA1926W-5 ($49.99)
Other: TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Purchased)
Other: Ethernet Cable (Purchased)
Other: Logisys CS369BK ATX Mid Tower Case - I'm selling the power supply that came with this for $35 ($5.99)
Total: $456.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-04 18:19 EDT-0400

Mad has a point ECS used to be very good until they got bought by PC Chips. Now their quality is not so good. ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, and ASRock are popular gaming brands for a reason. What is your budget for a motherboard and for the build over all?

Looeelooee1

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
unfortunately when i said i haven't purchased anything yet i meant i haven't purchased a new cpu cooler/cpu yet, the rest of the parts i have already purchased, i guess i will need to look into upgrading to a better board. i guess i could go with the board and cooler that madmatt suggested above. also what specs am i looking for to differentiate a good cpu cooler from a bad one, what makes a RAIJINTEK better than a 212 EVO

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014

From what i get from what madmatt30 said he mentioned the RAIJINTEK to be good for you as it would help cool the VRM. But what makes coolers better than others is its thermal capacity, the ability to remove heat quicker and keep things cooler compared to other coolers :)

What makes the raijintek Pallas better than the evo in your case with that board is that its a massive down blower that's blasts literally every component on the board with cool air.
On a board with no vrm or nb heatsinks this can help immensely.
The evo is a raised tower - front to back airflow only & the fan is raised 30mm above board height so it misses components entirely.
The Pallas you pay a premium of $10 more for - it cools the CPU 90% as well as the evo ,it cools the board components 100% more than the evo does.Its a better choice for you.

You only have to see it fitted on a matx board to understand what it does for component board cooling as opposed to the evo.

Pallas
Raijintek-Pallas-Installed-670x490.jpg

212 evo

maxresdefault.jpg