[SOLVED] Will my system bottleneck?

Oct 7, 2019
Hi there. Planning to buy the 2070 super and I have a i7-6700. Do you think this is a bottleneck?

Solution
Oh I thought dual channel memory was something else lol. No I dont atm but I'm planning to buy 1 or 2 more 8gb sticks. I have one currently.
While the 2070 Super is perfectly fine for 1440p, you need to fix that one stick of memory. It will cripple cpu performance in cpu heavy games/situations - your fps lows and avgs are worse, and the cpu simply isn't running at 100% without dual channel.

-Memory is only guaranteed to work as sold
-Sticks added later, even if they're the same brand and specs, can still fail - it's simply the combo with the highest compatibility rate
-The symptoms of incompatible memory don't always show up right away: freezing/crashing, stuttering, and BSODs
Oct 7, 2019
1440p monitor. I'm planning to upgrade for red dead redemption which I know has uncertainty around it and what it will need. No 100% on dual channel memory. How do check?

Oct 7, 2019
Oh I thought dual channel memory was something else lol. No I dont atm but I'm planning to buy 1 or 2 more 8gb sticks. I have one currently.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
While the 2070 Super is perfectly fine for 1440p, you need to fix that one stick of memory. It will cripple cpu performance in cpu heavy games/situations - your fps lows and avgs are worse, and the cpu simply isn't running at 100% without dual channel.

-Memory is only guaranteed to work as sold
-Sticks added later, even if they're the same brand and specs, can still fail - it's simply the combo with the highest compatibility rate
-The symptoms of incompatible memory don't always show up right away: freezing/crashing, stuttering, and BSODs

Solution
Oct 7, 2019
okay thank you. So ill just put two new ones in then. Do most newer motherboards have this flex mode feature? If so how do I check? Do you think that motherboard is due for an update in the near future? (2 years)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Newer motherboard do have this feature and it'll be listed in the motherboard manual, or mentioned on the online motherboard product page(sometimes).

No need to change the motherboard until your current cpu fails to satisfy you, after which you'll likely need a new cpu/mobo/ram combo anyway.

Reactions: Skudd
Oct 7, 2019
Thank you for all your help and advice. Really appreciate it! So often when you upgrade cpu do you want to change to whole lot? Sometimes if motherboard is compatible you can just upgarde CPU, Correct?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you for all your help and advice. Really appreciate it! So often when you upgrade cpu do you want to change to whole lot? Sometimes if motherboard is compatible you can just upgarde CPU, Correct?
There's only one other cpu you could possibly upgrade to, and it wouldn't be a real one at all - the 7700K, which is, in all essence, an overclocked version of your 6700K.
8th and 9th gen Intel cpus aren't compatible with the current mobo - those are LGA 1151 V2(the V2 part isn't present when you're actually shopping for the cpus, but that's what they are).

Well, you don't need to replace the memory. All the current stuff still uses DDR4.

Reactions: Skudd