Will my system run W8?

Son-Of-A-QA

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
since they have a very sweet deal on microsoft.com for Windows 8 for 40$ download i'm thinking of upgrading from a XP PRO 32bit

My specs:

MOBO: XFX i780 SLI

Graphics: GTX 260 from BFG tech(i know its old)

CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4GHz(planning on OC to 3.2)

Ram: 8 gigs unknown brand

PSU: Antec 550w (80 bronze)

Case: Antec 180(you don't need to know this)

bignastyid

Titan
"everyone that doesn't like 8 has never used it and just follows the crowd" I don't like and I have used it I don't like it on my desktop or laptop, however it does work nicely on my tablet, but that's the only place I would use it. Win 8's metro interface with a mouse and keyboard is a joke I don't care how much faster it's suppose to be I never noticed a difference it boot times, load times, or application performance

I'm not sure how anyone can say it's a joke, it's extremely easy to use and fast. I've used Windows since it was created and I think Windows 8 is great; it's just changing. I do think Microsoft should have added an option during installation to choose between Metro or the Start Menu for a primary.

@Son-Of-A-QA You can download a program called "Start8(I use it)," it restores the Start Menu on Windows 8 and works perfectly if you're not happy with metro, it makes Metro optional. It's only a $5 dollar purchase, it has a 30 day trial too.

Don't worry Windows 8 will run great on your system, it's light weight; plus it's cheaper than Windows 7.

G

2000 was/is awesome!

@OP i would suggest going with win7 and wait for the next OS.

G

Actually I have been using 8 on and off since DP was released - I don't like it because the interface is designed for touch devices, using it with a mouse and keyboard is a pain in the arse requiring far more input to get things done than the previous Windows GUIs.

jpoos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
just a thought - if the version of win 8 comes with downgrade rights, why not let the op decide through personal experience? install win 8, if he doesn't like it > downgrade to 7, all is good. opinions on win8 are pretty wide & varied due to the new UI. personally i'm not a fan but i guess that's due to being used to traditional style of windows (smart phones also irritate me)

Son-Of-A-QA

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Yeah, now i am definety going with 8 since i can get it a windows.com for only 40 bucks to download and 80 shipped

And thank you all for the positive feedback :D and you guys with the negitive ones :non:

Cataclysm_ZA

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

The only thing I'd double-check is whether there are 64-bit drivers for your board. Early NForce chipsets had their fair share of software and driver issues so check if there are Windows 7 drivers. Otherwise, I'd go for it - $40 is nothing compared to the regular retail price. If I still had my machine from work with me, also a Q6600, it would have been rocking 8 in no time at all.

Son-Of-A-QA

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
could i just do a clean installion cause i need the 64bit format sinc emy video card is bottlenecking my RAM a 2.75 GB which sucks if you're gaming at 1650x1050 on a 23"