Will my TV will be enough to support high quality graphics Vs. a top monitor?

JRxPHANTOM

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
So to start things off, I have a lot of questions. A little bit about my situation - I'm going to be building my first PC in the upcoming months and going to do a lot of gaming and video editing and I have about a $1600 budget. It will obviously be my main computer as well. Currently, I'm using a Mac that I had for about 5 years as my main computer and I game on my PS4; with a 32 inch Samsung TV that I use on my L desk for gaming. This will be the first time I will actually have a high quality PC and the first time I'll be gaming on one too.( I know lol...)

A little bit about my TV - Samsung, 1080p, 60Hz, 32 inches, supports 4:4:4, input lag an average of about 29ms, and I'm able to play competitive games really well on my PS4(notice no lag), also had good reviews on using it simply as a monitor(no idea about gaming on PC).

My question is do you guys think this TV will be good enough to use with a high quality PC build for games? I know that i'm already at a disadvantage because I don't have a 120Hz or 144 Hz monitor. But, will this TV hinder any graphics compared to a good monitor today? How will my TV fair well Vs. a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor with 1080p/1440p? I plan on playing older and brand new game releases, as well as playing WoW possibly and perhaps a bit of competitive multiplayer( although not many competitive games).

Other things to know - 4K is probably the biggest step but I plan to hold off on 4K monitors until at least a couple more years until that's more the popular choice and the prices reduce significantly. I still label 4K as the future since most standards are still 1080p.

My main concern is if I can use this TV and not have High/Ultra/Max graphics hindered Versus a top notch monitor, which is what probably most people play on. Will I notice any differences in graphics of video games between my TV( or even any TV for that matter) Vs. a good monitor, thus requiring me to replace my TV. Or are most of the graphic qualities simply based on the GPU/CPU?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. However, I have no prior experience with PC gaming so any advice/knowledge is helpful right now or any personal experiences.

Solution

Should be close to the same depending on what monitor you were comparing it to.

JRxPHANTOM

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Yeah sorry. I know that the PC can run the same settings whether TV or monitor. What I meant is will the graphics quality look the same on a 1080p TV Vs. A 1080p monitor. Example: If both were on max settings, would the monitor look better graphically than the TV, or will they look the same?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Should be close to the same depending on what monitor you were comparing it to.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS