Will my upgraded NAS handle video rendering?

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Hey guys,

I just upgraded my WD My Cloud ex4 to a WD MY Cloud PR4100 system. I have raid 5 configured on a 16tb 4 bay setup (4x 4tb WD red drives).

I just upgraded all my Ethernet cables to 7, and I am curious if the PR4100 will handle Vegas Pro HD video rendering?

I have been editing video for years, and I have a a solid setup for rendering within my PC. I have several internal drives. My main OS drive that handles Windows 10 and Vegas Pro 14 is an m.2 SSD, I also have a SATA SSD, and 5 WD black drives at random sizes, and I usually use files from those drives when rendering to and editing from.

I am curious, as I have seen others talk about rendering over their networks with their NAS storage devices. I have not tried it yet, but was looking to see if I should start doing so. I have not jumped into the 4k world of video editing yet, but I do have a Sony NX 100 video camera that records in full 1080p at 60fps at 50Mbps. So the files can get quite large. The pr4100 has a 1.6 GHz Intel Pentium N3710 Quad-Core processor and 4 gigs of ram. I am not sure what the read/write speeds of the drives are, but they are the standard WD Red drives.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

TRENDING THREADS