Question Will new cooler rip motherboard out?

ron2456

Distinguished
Hello, with the high heat of the summer I am thinking of upgrading my cooler from Gamaxx 300 to something better. So,
  1. Is it worth it? Gamaxx has 3 copper heatpipes and keeps temps in 65range with ambient at mid 30's.
  2. Will new cooler rip mobo out (Gigabyte AX370-Gaming), this mobo is not standard ATX size as its right side is quite a bit shorter than the mounting screw stansoffs as a result. The gamaxx 300 is around 500grams.

ron2456

Distinguished
At this point, why do you need better cooling?

65C is perfectly reasonable.

No, any heatsink you attempt to mount won't rip the motherboard out. Even with an ITX board those four screws can hold probably 20kg before failure.
Thanks for the answer. The problem is sometimes the fan starts making a rattling noise and goes away when stopped and started again. And since the fan is of a weird AF shape getting a replacement is quite impossible.

ron2456

Distinguished
35-856-026-V01.jpg

The fan mount is 92mm but the fan blade area is 120mm. Weird a** shape by deepcool as a result replacement 92mm fans are scarce.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. If you look at the product, you'll see the FAN is 120mm, but the mounting holes are probably 92mm equivalent.

The Gammax 300 is cheap AF, spending double on a new 120mm tower with 4 heat pipes is only 2.5x the cost of a [92mm] fan. Need to keep that in mind when you're considering which path to take.

Country?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Once a fan bearing shows signs of problems, it will only get worse. Should still shop for a replacement fan, if not a replacement cooler to have on hand when it fails.

For myself, I try to keep a spare CPU cooler on hand. Currently lacking now that I think about it, my last one, a Gammaxx 400, went out to a friend. Though I have plenty of alternative coolers, I suppose. Usually wait for sales and snag them when they are $5 cheaper than normal.

ron2456

Distinguished
Once a fan bearing shows signs of problems, it will only get worse. Should still shop for a replacement fan, if not a replacement cooler to have on hand when it fails.

For myself, I try to keep a spare CPU cooler on hand. Currently lacking now that I think about it, my last one, a Gammaxx 400, went out to a friend. Though I have plenty of alternative coolers, I suppose. Usually wait for sales and snag them when they are $5 cheaper than normal.
I tried to replace the fan but the mounting brackets are for 92mm only.
Yes I also have the Wraith stealth cooler with me.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You don't have to be scientific about slapping a fan onto a radiator. Some wire or string, or bending your own mounts out of paperclips, double sided tape, little blobs of silicone, zip ties...

There are many designs where they intentionally have the fan larger than the heatsink so don't think that is a huge deciding factor.

Heck you could take the fan hub out of the old fan and glue a new 120mm fan on to the old frame so that the ducting is still intact and the mounting still works... Probably the most ugly solution, but it would keep most of the design benefits of the fans reduction mounting.