Will Next Gen PC games(after 2015) Support more towards Hyperthreading or more towards Multi Core?

Bhavesh0723

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Hello friends
Currently some games use 3 to 4 cores of a processor which is ok for i5 processors.
But After 2015 Games could use more cores.
What I m asking is, Games will move towards which approach?Hyperthreading approach or Multi Core Approach?
I hope you got my point.
Yes Hyperthreading and Multi Core are different concepts.
The answers will affect my decision of getting an i5 4690k(Which is much Cheaper than i7) or i7 4790k(Which is Costly but has Hyperthreading support)
Thank you.

Solution

When hyper-threading first came out on the Pentium 4, it could cause performance issues because the operating system was not well optimised. The issue was that the operating system would treat each real core and each hyper threaded virtual core the same, so you might have one real core sitting idle while the operating system was scheduling threads on the real core and the virtual core of another physical core.

This isn't something...

ParadoxInfinite

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
Well, I think multi core. But if the major point here is the decision you have to make about the processor, then I would obviously recommend the i7 4790k. Reason being, both are Quad-core CPU's. What ever the Next Gen games are leaned towards you will have the benefit with the i7. Hyper-threading is always a good thing to have.

But if you are in a situation to not spend much on Processor or you have to sacrifice some other component's quality like a cheaper GPU etc, then I would definitely vote for the i5. If the games are moving towards, Multi-core as many,including me, believe then you will have the upper hand whilst you still have a great overall computer than just a powerful Processor.

If the budget is not an issue, go for the i7. Let us know what you decide. :)

A game can't tell the difference between a processor with 4 cores and hyper-threading or an 8 core processor, so there is no approach they can take either way.
There is also never a minimum number of cores for a game or application. The program may be able to take advantage of more cores, but this is no better than having less cores that are faster.
Looking at the two processors you are comparing, performance difference in an application or game that can use up to 8 cores will be at most 30% higher with the i7.
There are only going to be limited situations where that makes any noticeable difference.

Samuel White

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2014
Between those 2 processors gaming wise you will not notice a difference. Buy the i5 *which I own* and grab the best GPU with an SSD and load the game onto it. Thats how you will get the best performance from your game from here on out into the future.

Bhavesh0723

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015

Let me give my Specs:
GTX 970 MSI
2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
1TB Cavier Blue HDD

Bhavesh0723

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
I have seen many people complaining about performance drop in hyperthreading.
But I m very much afraid that what if next gen games have learnt to fully utilize hyperthreading?then there will be problem in the i5 4690k like stuttering an d alll.
Please comment on this one.
I want all the help I can get

What game devs do or not do we will just have to wait and watch. When building a system I look for whether I can max out all the games that are already released and not the ones that are yet to be released. Such a system usually can run almost all games released in the next 3 years with lower quality settings. If you are thinking about games like FC4 and DA:I dropping support for plain dual cores - that is complete bs. Game devs just trying to show that the X1 and PS4 are value for money.

FC4 dual core fix
DA:I fix

That being said, I haven't played these games myself so I can't confirm whether these fixes work and I have a better CPU :)

From what I have heard, the fixes do work in that they get the game to launch, but performance is pretty bad, even if you have the Pentium G3258 and you overclock it to 4.7GHz. Those games really do need more than two threads to work well.

When hyper-threading first came out on the Pentium 4, it could cause performance issues because the operating system was not well optimised. The issue was that the operating system would treat each real core and each hyper threaded virtual core the same, so you might have one real core sitting idle while the operating system was scheduling threads on the real core and the virtual core of another physical core.

This isn't something you have to worry about now. You need a CPU that is fast enough. Per-core performance is important because not all games make good use of many cores, and total performance is important where games or programs need a lot of processing power. This total performance can be from the speed of individual cores, more cores or hyper-threading. It really doesn't matter.

The only control game developers have over utilising technologies like multiple cores or hyper threading is to make the software multi threaded. The game creates these threads and it is up to the operating system where to execute them. You will never need a hyper-threaded CPU to run any program or game. What you need is a CPU that is fast enough.

For everything available now and I would expect for some time, the i5 is fast enough.
By the time games require something faster, the i7 won't be that much better anyway and there will be much faster CPUs available.

Solution