Question Will Normal 4 pin cpu cooler work on dell 5 pin motherboard?

Jan 3, 2020
Hello, i wanted to know if normal 1155 socket, 4 pin cpu cooler will work on 5 pin dell motherboard. i just tried plugging 775 socket cooler on motherboard and it didnt work. so i was wondering if 1155 socket cooler will work on that?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
4-5pin-adapter.jpg

You would have to rewire the pinouts... or buy an adapter like this.
Dell 5 pin to 4 pin Fan Connector Adapter $1.5

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
could you be more specific how do i do that

Btw thanks for the answer
I'm assuming you have the original 5 pin fan and a 4 pin PMW replacement.
Connector5pin.jpg

1. Remove the pin tabs from the 5 pin fan connector.
  2. Remove the pin tabs from the 4 pin connector.
  3. Push the pin tabs from the 4 pin PWM fan into the 5 pin connector in the order above.
You will need a small screwdriver, needle or stick pin to do this. I suggest this because I have done it several times over the years myself. :giggle:

Mounting hole spacing can be an issue as well and sometimes you have to get friendly with a Dremel to make things work.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020
I'm assuming you have the original 5 pin fan and a 4 pin PMW replacement.
Connector5pin.jpg

1. Remove the pin tabs from the 5 pin fan connector.
  2. Remove the pin tabs from the 4 pin connector.
  3. Push the pin tabs from the 4 pin PWM fan into the 5 pin connector in the order above.
You will need a small screwdriver, needle or stick pin to do this. I suggest this because I have done it several times over the years myself. :giggle:

Mounting hole spacing can be an issue as well and sometimes you have to get friendly with a Dremel to make things work.
Sadly, i don't have 5 pin fan. what about if i just change places of the cables on 4 pin.And my cooler is a little bit old and has different cable colors like this View: https://imgur.com/llgwCnQ

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I was expecting you to be using another cooler, the Dell spacing is close but not always a perfect fit. As far as forcing a 4pin connector onto a 5pin header it doesn't work the greatest and thermal expansion will probably force it to short at some point. I would suggest you either get a 5 pin fan for the connector or buy that adapter instead.