[SOLVED] Will not boot after adding second RAM stick

Jul 8, 2020
Acer Veriton X2631G (has 2 memory slots)

I currently have one 4 GB SK Hynix 1600 DDR3 SDRAM CL9 stick in slot 1.

I want to increase the ram to 8 GB. I purchased a pair of Kingston HyperX 4 GB 1600 DDR3 SDRAM CL9 sticks.

Computer works fine when I have either the old memory, or either of the new sticks in slot 1.
If I put both new sticks in, I get the long, continuous POST beep.
If I swap the new sticks into the opposite slots, I get the same beep.
If I put either the old, or either of the new sticks alone in slot 2 I get the same beep.

I blew the slot out with air and made sure that the sticks were seated properly. I have the latest ACER BIOS update (2015).

Is slot 2 toast?

I can't return the new memory as the package has (obviously) been opened. If slot 2 is not working then I guess I need to purchase an 8 GB stick for slot 1.

Solution

I want to increase the ram to 8 GB. I purchased a pair of Kingston HyperX 4 GB 1600 DDR3 SDRAM CL9 sticks.

Computer works fine when I have either the old memory, or either of the new sticks in slot 1.
If I put either the old, or either of the new sticks alone in slot 2 I get the same beep.

I blew the slot out with air and made sure that the sticks were seated properly. I have the latest ACER BIOS update (2015).

Is slot 2 toast?

I can't return the new memory as the package has...

Is slot 2 toast?

I can't return the new memory as the package has (obviously) been opened. If slot 2 is not working then I guess I need to purchase an 8 GB stick for slot 1.
Since you try each RAM and each slot, yeah they are toast. the beep indicate the Bad RAM, in your case, they not detected the RAM.

Solution
Jul 8, 2020
I can confirm that it was the second slot that was not working. I was able to try these memory modules on a different computer with the exact same specs and they worked fine in both slots.