Will not boot up with memory upgrade...bad Socket ?

ken-cj

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008
I have a PC Chips P25G motherboard. The spec on this board says I can install up to 2 gb of ram. I'm currently running 1 gb of ddr pc3200 400 from dell. I want to increase my memory to 2gb. I install another 1 gb ddr pc3200 400 from Samsung in the open socket and it would not boot up, just a blank screen. I remove the 1gb I just installed and it boots up with no problem. I thought maybe the new memory was bad so I tried the new memory in the socket were the old memory is and it also boots up fine. I tried putting the new and old memory in the second socket and it still will not boot. It seems that only one socket is working, it will only boot from one socket.

Could I have a bad socket? Or is it possible the memory is not compatible?

Thats one crud motherboard, dont expect miracles.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Without a link to the MB, I'll take a guess: The new stick is double sided and that is causes problems.

some older mobo's don't support double sided memory, that is, chips on both sides of the dimm.

I didn't look this up but have seen this before. See if you mobo manual says anything about this.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
hmmn. Thanks for the link. I am being lazy tonight :)

You are right, it is not the case I was thinking of. I would try fooling around with the bios to see if I could find anything there. Maybe try dropping the speed a little. (if you can manually set this in the bios?)

Also, check what bios you are running. It seems one of there updates is to improve memory stability.... Its a long shot, but you could try updating before you return the memory.