Mar 6, 2020
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.00Mhz
MOBO: Asus ROG B450-F Gaming
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4GB
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z (2 x 8) 3466
PSU: Corsair TX550M 80+ Gold
SSD(C: drive): Samsung 220GB

External SSD: WD MyPassport 2TB

One morning I went to go start my computer up and I heard my GPU's fans ramp up really loudly. I had no display but waited thinking maybe something will happen soon. Well, about 10 minutes passed and nothing happened. I then proceeded to turn the computer off but the power button had no effect. I held down the button for some time and still nothing. I just went ahead and shut the power switch on the PSU to the off position and waited. I turned it back on and the same exact thing happened. My motherboard has 4 LED's that sequence when it is starting up. None of them lit up during this whole thing. I really hope some of you can help me and I know a little bit about PC hardware so im not completely helpless. Thank you.

Solution
Ok. I'd pull the CPU and check it for bent pins. Sounds like what is going on to me. If there are no bent pins, then I'd remove the memory, graphics card, unplug everything from the PSU, then reinstall it all, making sure to seat everything fully.

Keep in mind that if you remove the CPU cooler you WILL need to clean off the existing thermal interface material (paste or thermal paste pad) with isopropyl alcohol or a thermal paste specific remover, and apply fresh paste.

If there ARE bent pins, then if you remember that sound from PacMan when you get eaten? Yep, that sound. Game over. Rarely you might be able to straighten it if it's just one or two pins that are not badly bent. If they are badly bent, you'll be very unlikely to bend...
How old is that TX550m? How long in service?

If you remove the graphics card, or the memory, and then start the system, do you get any LED codes lit up then?

Have you tried a single stick of memory, then the other stick by itself?

It may be necessary to bench the whole thing.

Mar 6, 2020
How old is that TX550m? How long in service?

If you remove the graphics card, or the memory, and then start the system, do you get any LED codes lit up then?

Have you tried a single stick of memory, then the other stick by itself?

It may be necessary to bench the whole thing.

1st off, thank you for replying
2ndly: The PSU is a few weeks old, and I have tried removing the graphics card but not the memory i will do that right now

Ok. I'd pull the CPU and check it for bent pins. Sounds like what is going on to me. If there are no bent pins, then I'd remove the memory, graphics card, unplug everything from the PSU, then reinstall it all, making sure to seat everything fully.

Keep in mind that if you remove the CPU cooler you WILL need to clean off the existing thermal interface material (paste or thermal paste pad) with isopropyl alcohol or a thermal paste specific remover, and apply fresh paste.

If there ARE bent pins, then if you remember that sound from PacMan when you get eaten? Yep, that sound. Game over. Rarely you might be able to straighten it if it's just one or two pins that are not badly bent. If they are badly bent, you'll be very unlikely to bend them back straight without breaking them off inside the CPU where they attach or where they are bent at.

If after reinstalling everything, assuming no bent pins, and you still have no LEDs, then it is pretty likely you have a dead motherboard, given the lack of any error indications from the LEDs.

Normally I'd say it might be a GPU issue, but if so, there should be a VGA LED lit on most boards.

Solution
Mar 6, 2020

If there ARE bent pins, then if you remember that sound from PacMan when you get eaten? Yep, that sound. Game over. Rarely you might be able to straighten it if it's just one or two pins that are not badly bent. If they are badly bent, you'll be very unlikely to bend them back straight without breaking them off inside the CPU where they attach or where they are bent at.

If after reinstalling everything, assuming no bent pins, and you still have no LEDs, then it is pretty likely you have a dead motherboard, given the lack of any error indications from the LEDs.

Normally I'd say it might be a GPU issue, but if so, there should be a VGA LED lit on most boards.
Ok I just pulled the CPU and the pins are good but some have thermal paste around the edge. I do use a graphite pad and when I was just about to pull the CPU I found it pinned in between the cooler and the RAM slots. It wasnt even on the CPU. She may be fried. I've got a friend with an AM4 motherboard at work that he can put the CPU and RAM in to make sure its good

I tried to run it with just the CPU and it finally beeped at me with the RAM LED lit. I then put both DIMMs in and it went back to what it was doing, no LEDs. So I put one in and one out and vice versa but still the same thing. I went ahead and just took both out and it didnt beep this time. No LEDs. Once again I am going to test these in a different mobo and once again, thank you for replying.

Mar 6, 2020
O
Yes, if that is the case then there is at least some chance that something got shorted. See what the other motherboard says about the parts. Maybe it's just the motherboard.
Ok it will probably be tomorrow when I test the hardware thx for the help!

EDIT: forgot it was friday so it might be monday when it gets tested.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020

I just sprayed WD-40 Contact cleaner in the socket and it started working. thanks for the help.