Will OEM Key Work if I Go from 32 bit to 64 bit?

KHE920

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
I have a HP 60-230US laptop w/ 3 GB RAM and Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I bought it new. From my understanding, this means I have an OEM key, right?

I want to Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit and install Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit on the same computer (after upgrading to 4 GB RAM and an SSD--if that even matters), would the OEM key work for the 64 bit version?

From what I've read so far, the answer seems to be "yes," but I thought I'd give it another try because I've read some conflicting information.

KHE920

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Alabalcho,

So I could just put in the 4 GB of ram and it will work on 32 bit Windows?

I thought 32 bit can't handle more than 3 GB?

I don't want to pay anymore for an OP, so I'd rather just reinstall with 64 bit of the version I have.

Ok, the reason everyone is giving you a different number is it depends on hardware. A 32 bit OS can address up to 4GB. Problem is it also uses that same address space for hardware. The greater the hardware addressing needs of the system, the less RAM it will be able to access.

KHE920

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Just wanted to report that it was very easy to switch from 32 to 64 bit vista home premium.

The product key that worked is the one on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop and not the the key-finding software found.