Question Will one 6+2 pin and one "daisy chained" 2x6+2pin cable be enough for a 3×8 pin video card?

Dec 2, 2022
I have a EVGA Supernova g6 650w psu and a MSI Gaming Z trio 6800 xt gpu. Can I use the 3 8 pin connectors (one 6+2 pin and one 2x6+2 pin daisy chained cable?
Cpu is ryzen 5600x and there is one nvme drive in the system

Lutfij

Titan
You need a higher wattage PSU...to also add, you don't have the necessary connectors. Why? you may ask? It's because you shouldn't daisy chain PCIe power connectors to the GPU, they should all be standalone from the PSU's end. The second point being that you lack necessary power from the unit(even if the unit would've been brand new). MSI's own listing for the GPU, here, suggest a 750W unit. I'd add 100W to that number and invest in a reliably built PSU to power your build with the RX6800XT. I'd go for a higher wattage unit than suggested, for the sake of headroom, if I went with the RX6800XT.

Dec 2, 2022
You need a higher wattage PSU...to also add, you don't have the necessary connectors. Why? you may ask? It's because you shouldn't daisy chain PCIe power connectors to the GPU, they should all be standalone from the PSU's end. The second point being that you lack necessary power from the unit(even if the unit would've been brand new). MSI's own listing for the GPU, here, suggest a 750W unit. I'd add 100W to that number and invest in a reliably built PSU to power your build with the RX6800XT. I'd go for a higher wattage unit than suggested, for the sake of headroom, if I went with the RX6800XT.
Alright. I was making that assumption based on online psu calculators. Also I have read that each cable is rated at 150w and since the gpu uses at most 300w this solution will be good.
Thanks for your advice tho, I agree that it is better safe than sorry.
As you are probably way more experienced can you recommend me a psu?

Dec 2, 2022
Welcome! Where are you located, what is your budget and what is your preferred site for purchase?
I am located in Hungary, I dont order from international websites. If that helps you we have Alza, Emag and stuff. Also our currency is kinda messed up but an estimate would be around 125 euros.

If this does not give you enough information it would be okay if you gave me some budget and some midrange options. I appreciate your help!

Reactions: Lutfij
Dec 2, 2022
Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA and Asus are some good brands to look at. You can provide a link with a shortlist of what you can afford. The community could chime in on suggestions.
Alright here is a list from cheapest (here) to the more expensive from the 750 w psus:
Seasonic G12 gc-750 gold
Evga supernova 750 ga
Gigabyte p750gm
Seasonic g12 gm-750 gold
Evolveo g750
Corsair tx750m (2021)
Fsp fortron hydro gsm lite pro 750
Gigabyte ud750gm
Corsair rm750
Cooler master v750 gold v2
Evga supernova 750gt

These are relatively cheap here, but if it is necessary and none of these are enough I can look up some more.
Thank you!