Question Will one exhaust fan be enough?

Jul 20, 2019
Tomorrow me and one friend will upgrade my current system with a new cpu, mobo, psu and a kraken x62 cooler.

My question is if only one corsair ll 120mm fan will be enough for exhaust in the top rear of my corsair carbide 275r. I will put the radiator in the front as intake and then probably have the 2 fans in the top as intake as well (if exhaust wouldn't work better?)

For every fan but the radiator fans, set them to intake. For the radiator fans, put them behind the radiator set them to push air out of the case. That way you're getting cold air in from above and the side and pushing it out along with the heat from the radiator.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
None of the above. Sheesh.

X62 as intake in front. Up to you as to orientation. Generally get slightly better results with lower rpm (@ 600-1200rpm) when fans are used in pull config. Generally get slightly better results with higher rpm (@ 1300rpm+) when fans are in push config.

The X62 uses Cam software for controlling the pump/fan speeds. Unless you have a i9 9900k/s there's no reason or need for performance mode, even standard mode in most cases. Silent mode is the better option and at idle will see fan speeds @ 500rpm, gaming @ 600-700rpm and stress tests @ 900rpm. Cpu will run @ 5°C warmer± in Silent mode, but since it'll be well under 70°C, that doesn't matter at all, it's an AIO not an air cooler.

Push is fans in front, pushing air through the rad into the case. Pull is fans behind the rad, pulling air through the rad and into the case.

2 fans on top as exhaust. It's an AIO cooled pc. There's no need for a rear exhaust as there's no air tower heatsink throwing air in its direction.

Air in front, air out the top, along with gpu exhaust. 1 nice smooth flow that's not ripped in multiple directions.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019
None of the above. Sheesh.

X62 as intake in front. Up to you as to orientation. Generally get slightly better results with lower rpm (@ 600-1200rpm) when fans are used in pull config. Generally get slightly better results with higher rpm (@ 1300rpm+) when fans are in push config.

The X62 uses Cam software for controlling the pump/fan speeds. Unless you have a i9 9900k/s there's no reason or need for performance mode, even standard mode in most cases. Silent mode is the better option and at idle will see fan speeds @ 500rpm, gaming @ 600-700rpm and stress tests @ 900rpm. Cpu will run @ 5°C warmer± in Silent mode, but since it'll be well under 70°C, that doesn't matter at all, it's an AIO not an air cooler.

Push is fans in front, pushing air through the rad into the case. Pull is fans behind the rad, pulling air through the rad and into the case.

2 fans on top as exhaust. It's an AIO cooled pc. There's no need for a rear exhaust as there's no air tower heatsink throwing air in its direction.

Air in front, air out the top, along with gpu exhaust. 1 nice smooth flow that's not ripped in multiple directions.
My new cpu is the 9700k. So your suggestion is to put 4 fans on the radiator? I only have 2, 140mm fans. So that won't really work. Do you think it would work fine if I put an extra 120mm in the front along with the radiator. As intake, And the the rest of the fans in the case as exhaust?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. 2x 140mm are intake on the radiator and 2x 140mm on top as exhaust. You can put 4x on the radiator, that's push/pull, 2x in front of the rad is push, 2x behind the rad is pull.

This is push/pull setup. 4x fans. If you take off the front set of fans, you have a rad in pull config, 2x fans, if you take off the rear set you have a push config. 2x fans.

Push works better at high rpm, pull works better with low rpm. If you have RGB fans and a glass/open front then obviously you choose push so you can see the RGB, but it's ultimately your choice as to how it's mounted.

Can't mount a 120mm to a 140mm fan slot, there isn't room to add a fan, so 3x 120mm or 2x 140mm is all it fits in front, whether that's fans or radiator.

2x 140mm on top is totally sufficient for exhaust. If you choose to add a 3rd fan at rear as exhaust, that's your choice, but it really doesn't do much of anything for airflow, just steals air from the 140mm above it