[SOLVED] Will one house stop signal of cpe 210 PtP?

Ashvin Srinivasan

Reputable
Nov 1, 2020
I am planning a Point to Point wireless link using two Tp link cpe210.
Distance is 500m.
There is one house in the middle blocking line of sight.
Will it interfere or stop the 2.4 Ghz signal?

Solution
The house is in the middle of the two PtP points. i.e 250m from AP.
It doesn't matter. If you can't see the opposite end unit, it won't work unless you put the units about 10 ft above the roof of the house in the middle. If there is a house, then there are probably trees. Those will also impede the signal.

You are asking the equivalent of "If I put the router outside the east side of the house and stand on the west side, will WIFI work?" The answer is no.

kanewolf

Titan
The house is in the middle of the two PtP points. i.e 250m from AP.
It doesn't matter. If you can't see the opposite end unit, it won't work unless you put the units about 10 ft above the roof of the house in the middle. If there is a house, then there are probably trees. Those will also impede the signal.

You are asking the equivalent of "If I put the router outside the east side of the house and stand on the west side, will WIFI work?" The answer is no.

Reactions: Ashvin Srinivasan
Solution
It takes almost nothing to block wifi signals. Your microwave oven runs at 1000 times the output power of a router on the same 2.4g radio. You can see though the front glass but a microwave oven is only allowed to leak much less than a router can transmit at. So the oven door is absorbing/blocking all that energy.

Now if you were very unlucky your radio beam might go directly through the microwave oven in the other house. The house itself absorbs huge amounts of energy. Anything in the path absorbs energy even the water vapor in the air which is partially what limits the distance. The other problem you have with a house in the middle is they likely have a wifi router. This router will interfere with your signals. Normally these ptp connections have rather narrow beams so no other radio can be in the path but if there is it will cause a large issue because the signal level are so low when you are trying to go distances.

So your best hope is to put a long pole on both houses so the signal can go over the one in the middle. If you have large trees in the way you need to find a way to get past though also. Pretty much if you can't see the other radio unit clearly with say binoculars it will not work.

Reactions: Ashvin Srinivasan