Will Opterons work in SLI socket 939 motherboards?

RichardL

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I am planning to build fast a PC to be my new work horse:
- lots of 3D gaming
- media encoding
- office stuff
- and web stuff (Macromedia suite mainly)

I intend to buy quality hardware and overclock.

From what I have read Opteys sound like they are better than X2's for a dual core solution, particularly when it comes to overclocking.

I am considering the following:
Opteron 170 (Denmark)
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (Manchester)
Athlon 64 4000+ (San Diego) -- as a single core solution - overclocked to same as FX-55.

First question:
Will the Opteron work interchangeably in SLI Socket 939 motherboards like ASUS A8N-SLI Premium or DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR?
On NewEgg only Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 FX are mentioned as compatible with these mobos.

Secord question:
For the $350 to $450 price range, should I be considering any other AMD CPUs?

Thanks in advance!!

philderbeast

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
the opty will work on any socket 939 board, even the spi one to the best of my knowledge. althought the boath may need a bios update to work with dual cores.

if in doubt go to the manufactures web site and check they will be able to tell you.

you might also consider an Opteron 150 for a single core solution

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103594

there have been reports of this processor hitting over 3.0ghz on the stock cooler....

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
there are no socket 939 mobo offcially (note the bold there) support opertons, because that in order to qualify they need to do more tests then nessiary, and they are almost the same (just diff names and longer time one some of them i think....) than the tests done to ensure compatibility with A64 s939 usually all mobo that support dual core A64 X2s should support the new opertrons.... even if its not there is still a good chance that it willl

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

Yes your Opteron will work on a 939 mobo. If you checked, Opteron server mobos 939 are MIA and most manf say nothing as AMD won't let them qualify.

Now, like the X2, you may need to update your bios and/ or nvidia windows mobo driver. Still works while you are making the necessary updates.

RichardL

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Thanks guys,

When I dug a bit deeper on the ASUS Support site, these motherboards do indeed support dual core Opterons:
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium and ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe

I guess maybe AMD don't let them publicise the fact for marketing reasons.
Do you think this is why they 'hide' the fact that Opteron's will also work fine in these MOBOs?

jokersgrin

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
if you do a bios update stay away from bios update 1017 on Asus Mobo...its been causeing alot unstability in everyones mobo's with this update...I was one!!!....took me 3 days to figure out what was going on...stick with 1015 bios
very very stable

good luck and enjoy the sweet creamy dual core goodness!!! :lol: