[SOLVED] Will Origin/Steam save my game progress over the cloud to my new pc?

Jul 14, 2020
Hi all, I've just built my new pc and I'm trying to get my games from origin and steam over to it from my old pc. Will my game progress still be there on my new pc if I were to redownload the games from their respective launchers on that pc? For example, if I download Battlefront 2 from my Origin account on my new pc will all my levels and progress still be there? And for Steam if I download Lego SW TFA from my Steam Account will my story progress still be saved? Are there any settings on my old pc that I need to change (cloud saves, all that) before I download from my new pc. And yes, I am aware that I can transfer them over using a usb flash drive, but it seems like a lot of hassle and I'll only do it if I absolutely need to. Thanks!

Solution
Origin I'm not sure about, but Steam you definitely can! For the games you want to transfer, you'll have to go into your settings and make sure the cloud data sharing feature is enabled. As far as I'm aware, this is enabled by default for most if not all games, but it doesn't hurt to double check. With this you can simply redownload the games on the new PC.

I did have one problem recently where the data didn't transfer correctly. I had to open the older PC back up and confirm with a popup window that I wanted to store the data over the cloud instead of locally. After that, all the save data became available on the new PC.
Origin I'm not sure about, but Steam you definitely can! For the games you want to transfer, you'll have to go into your settings and make sure the cloud data sharing feature is enabled. As far as I'm aware, this is enabled by default for most if not all games, but it doesn't hurt to double check. With this you can simply redownload the games on the new PC.

I did have one problem recently where the data didn't transfer correctly. I had to open the older PC back up and confirm with a popup window that I wanted to store the data over the cloud instead of locally. After that, all the save data became available on the new PC.

Solution
Jul 14, 2020

Would it be faster to copy them over though?

Dec 22, 2020
Hi all, I've just built my new pc and I'm trying to get my games from origin and steam over to it from my old pc. Will my game progress still be there on my new pc if I were to redownload the games from their respective launchers on that pc? For example, if I download Battlefront 2 from my Origin account on my new pc will all my levels and progress still be there? And for Steam if I download Lego SW TFA from my Steam Account will my story progress still be saved? Are there any settings on my old pc that I need to change (cloud saves, all that) before I download from my new pc. And yes, I am aware that I can transfer them over using a usb flash drive, but it seems like a lot of hassle and I'll only do it if I absolutely need to. Thanks!
Yes, cloud saves will transfer to your new PC once you reinstall Steam and Origin, but only for supported games. For example, I played Crysis 3 on Origin almost to the end before I had to reinstall Windows and my save data was lost because that game on Origin didn't support cloud saves.

Jul 14, 2020
Assuming you know what you're doing and know exactly which files to move? It'd probably be about the same, if not somewhat slower. I personally think letting the Steam app handle everything is more reliable though, to insure that every necessary file is transferred.
That's what I ended up doing, and my Origin data was still there and my steam data as well. Didn't take as long as last time to download thanks to faster SSD speeds