Will Overclock be reset by installing new cooler?

jamesa82

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014
Hi I'm buying a new cooler however the one thing i came across in terms of issues that can be faced when installing a new cooler on a CPU that is overclocked, is bios resetting if the motherboard "battery" is unplugged, therefore undoing the overclock. I have no idea what this is but apparently it's avoidable if you can install the cooler's back plate without removing the entire motherboard. Which in my case you can since my case can have one side removed thus giving you access to the back of the motherboard without actually removing it.

What I'm really asking is, how much cabling will have to be messed with and if it does will it lead to bios resetting, meaning i will loose my overclock (something i really want to avoid as i would have no knowledge in reapplying it again myself), or can the cooler be replaced without too much fidling with wires therefore meaning my overclock stays in place.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Solution
You won't loose your BIOS settings (and OC) by completely removing the board. The only way you loose settings is with the CMOS reset jumper or when you use the default reset option within BIOS. If you end up having to pull the board to install the cooler's backplate, just save the settings in one of the BIOS save spots to be safe... if your BIOS offers save spots.

Littlesackninja

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

Small battery? DO you mean capacitors? If you remove those then you are probably a pro and already know.

Sawyer Blais

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014

No, the CMOS battery. I just couldn't remember what it was called.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You won't loose your BIOS settings (and OC) by completely removing the board. The only way you loose settings is with the CMOS reset jumper or when you use the default reset option within BIOS. If you end up having to pull the board to install the cooler's backplate, just save the settings in one of the BIOS save spots to be safe... if your BIOS offers save spots.

Solution

jamesa82

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014
I've made a profile save of my settings in bios. Is this what you mean by save spot. If I do have to take the CPU out to clean off old thermal paste, could I just reload the profile I saved and would this reapply the over clock? Thanks for the info so far it's been very helpful.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Removing the CPU will not make any difference. The settings are all saved in the CMOS memory of the MB. You can do what you want as long as you don't jumper the CMOS reset pins on the board.

TRENDING THREADS