[SOLVED] Will overclock reduce my GPU's performance?

Penrose

Commendable
May 26, 2019
So I have an ASUS Dual GTX 1660 Ti, and I recently tried an overclock on it via MSI Afterburner (+135 Core Clock, +1100 Memory Clock) and ran some benchmarks. There weren't any crashes so it was stable however the temps were going to about 80-83 and this triggered thermal throttling so the clock was reduced automatically, but I increased the fan speed to reduce the temp to around 75-76 on max load when running the Heaven Benchmark. I decided to change back to stock settings as I realized I didn't need the extra frames, but I'm just wondering since I already overclocked it a bit and tested some benchmarks, will that reduce the performance of the GPU on stock settings compared to the stock settings I had before I overclocked? Or is my stock performance unaffected? To note, I never used the GPU on the high temperatures for over 8-10 minutes. The only time I played a game with the overclock setting was on Rainbow Six Siege, and it was for only around 10 minutes.

So linking back to my main question, will the overclock I set on my GPU reduce the performance I'll get when I reset to stock settings and use them? Or is it unaffected? I understand I may have reduced the lifespan a little bit, but not a noticeable amount considering I didn't use the overclock for long, but I just need to know if my GPU's speed was affected.

Solution
Most over-clocks result in a performance boost with a loss for stability. In your case, your stock setting should be completely unaffected. If you were only running OC'd benchmarks a few times, that wouldn't degrade the hardware to any point that you would be able to notice. Your GPU is all good (y)

Penrose

Commendable
May 26, 2019
Look at it this way, regular clock is 100%. The overclock is literally throwing extra power at it to make it work faster, so lets say 115%. Disabling the overclock brings it back to 100%.

So the performance is unaffected. (excluding the fact that we reduce the power, like there is no negative factor to the gpu reducing the amount of performance it should have on stock settings when it was new)
I got the gpu like 5 days ago, to note also.

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Most over-clocks result in a performance boost with a loss for stability. In your case, your stock setting should be completely unaffected. If you were only running OC'd benchmarks a few times, that wouldn't degrade the hardware to any point that you would be able to notice. Your GPU is all good (y)

Solution