Will overclocking my cpu reduce cpu usage?

Firsttimebuilding

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
Let's say an mmorpg game like Blade and Soul is using about 30%-40% cpu usage on my amd a10-7870k apu on stock. Will the cpu usage go lower if I overclock my cpu? If so then how much would you say it'd help?

Solution

Firsttimebuilding was referring to 30%-40% CCPU utilization, not 100%. You are correct if the CPU utilization is 100%, but if a task only uses 30% of the CPU, then it will use less on a faster CPU.
Will the CPU usage go lower? No. The game will run faster/smoother, but CPU usage won't go down. The game's instructions still need to be run ... they simply run faster.

Like if you're benchmarking your CPU with SuperPi. At stock speeds it will use 100% of your CPU. If you then overclock by 50% it doesn't suddenly only require 50% of your CPU. It still requires 100% of your CPU -- it just completes faster.

Firsttimebuilding was referring to 30%-40% CCPU utilization, not 100%. You are correct if the CPU utilization is 100%, but if a task only uses 30% of the CPU, then it will use less on a faster CPU.

Solution