Will Palomina work on current Socket A Motherboard

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The lowest voltage setting in most of the SOCKET A motherboards is 1.7. Considering that the Palomion will run at 1.5v, will people with a current Socket A motherboard be screwed from upgrading? Is it likely that motherboard manufacturers will put out a new BIOS to solve this or do we require physical board modifications?

It worked yesterday! :lol:

G

About a month ago I could have sworn I heard it would be compatible, but I'm not positive.

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
the voltage settings are different for different manufacturers. i have an asus A7V133 that goes down to 1.5VCore. so it just depends on your mobo.

is this reality... i thought it would more realistic.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You are incorrect to say that the lowest coltage setting in most Socket A motherboards is 1.7 volts. Durons, which work on all Socket A motherboards, run off of 1.5 volts, the same as Palomino. My KT133 MSI board goes as low as 1.3 core voltage, but only has 200 mHz FSB support. Palomino will work with today's motherboards, but a BIOS update may be required.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

G

Yeah it depends on the mobo, and I thought it was 1.4v. I just thought I'd add, Mobile Athlon 4's will not run in desktop mobo's. Guess we'll have to wait for Desktop Athlon 4's.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They very well may work. AMD just might be saying that to keep them out of Desktops until they officially release them a couple months from now. But, given their price anyone would be crazy to spend twice as much on a lower clocked mobile Athlon 4 than a Thunderbird. Then again, Athlon 4s probably overclock like mad, probably easily reaching 2 gHz+ considering how well AXIA Thunderbirds do.

G

Overclockers.com asked ASUS a while back if their boards (KT133A) would work with the Palomino and they would not guarantee it would. Based on what Tom posted sounds like there are some new pin assignments, such as the thermal diode, that could also cause incompatabilities besides the voltage..

Does anyone even know if the current chipsets, KT133A/266 -ALi MAGiK1 - AMD760 support the Palomino? Doesn't sound like they will support the current Mobile Version.

<font color=blue>The #1 reason to upgrade your PC - to run faster benchmarks...</font color=blue>

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Now that the Athlon 4 is here, the big question everyone is asking is "will it work with current Socket-A motherboards?" AMD actually told us that as long as motherboard manufacturers adhere to the guidelines they set forth, a motherboard purchased today would work with not only the Athlon 4 but also the Thoroughbred and Barton cores. This means that the Thoroughbred and Barton cores will both be on Socket-A Athlons as well." - <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1469&p=14" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1469&p=14</A>

Plus, The only 2 sanctioned mobile Palomino chipsets are the KT133A and ALi MAGiK1, so they do work with them.

G

Desktop Palominos will definitely work, with at the very least KT133A, MaGiK, and 760. This has been stated over and over again. However, mobile Athlon 4 Palominos will not work, even those in Socket A format. Apparently, there are several extra pins in the Mobile version to control PowerNow, and the thermal diode.

~ The First Formally Rehabilitated AMD Lemming ~

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, there are not any extra pins. The mobile Athlon 4 uses the same exact socket A configuration as current Athlons. The only difference is previously unused pins that the TBird has are used by the Athlon 4 for PowerNow! and stuff. No extra pins, just more used pins.

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just curious...I have an MSI K7 Master (AMD 760 chipset) and would like to know if you have any links that show the desktop Palomino will work with this chipset. I still am worried since the minumum voltage is 1.65 that I won't be able to use it....

It worked yesterday! :lol:

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you sure the lowest voltage is 1.65? It makes no sense, as that motherboard is for Durons as well, and Durons run off of 1.5 core voltage. I think you are mistaken. Plus, just because Palomino is supposed to operate a 1.5 volts doesn't mean it can't run at higher. I accidently ran my Duron at 1.7 volts for a brief period of time. It ran fine, just a few degrees hotter than normal. I am pretty sure Palominos will work on your motherboard.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Abit KT7-RAID can go as low as 1.1v, so the Palomino will work. Too bad the board is limited to 200Mhz FSB, taking away a good part of the advantage, so, for me an upgrade to Palomino will require a new MB as well.

The KT7a series should be fine.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

That could be a good thing if you OC. Look at the people who modify their Mobo for extra Voltage, just consider yourself ahead of the game! :)

I’m curious if the thermal protection will work using current boards. I know Tom's article was somewhat limited in providing information on it, but it made it sound like there was only a thermal diode to sense temp, not actually shut down the CPU (unless I read the article wrong that’s what I got from it). The mechanism to shutdown the CPU would need to come from the mobo, do current boards have this or are they capable with a maybe a BIOS upgrade?

<font color=blue>The #1 reason to upgrade your PC - to run faster benchmarks...</font color=blue>

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We need to wait for more information on the "Thermal Protection". I got the same impression as you did from the article. If the MB needs to sense the temperature, then the new "protection" is no better then using Motherboard Monitor and Shutdown today. I have my doubts that current MB's, even with a BIOS upgrade, have the capability to shutdown the machine instantly.

True thermal protection is built into the chip and monitored by the chip itself.

Let's wait and see as more information becomes available....

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>