Will PC3200 DDR RAM work in my DDR2 mobo for the short term?

GreyKnight

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
The reason I ask is that I've built my new rig and it all works fine (typing this on it right now! :D ), but my supplier has sent me the normal XMS2 Corsair PC6400 memory 5-5-5-12 instead of the Dominator branded memory 4-4-4-12 I ordered. They have acknowledged this and want me to send the RAM back for exchange, but that will leave me without a the new PC for a few days.

I could always just go back to my old machine for a few days longer, but I'd like to be getting everything else set up and installed on the new rig while I wait for the proper RAM to arrive. So, will the PC3200 DDR RAM from my old PC work in my new Asus P5N32-E 680i motherboard?

Cheers

Graham

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Carefully check the motherboard manual. This will explain exactly what types of memory you can use on it!

If you haven't got a hard copy, Google it. :)

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I'm pretty sure it won't. DDR is 184-pin, DDR2 is 240-pin. They wouldn't even fit in the slots. The only board I know of that supports both is the ASRock Dual-VSTA, and it has 2 slots for DDR, and 2 slots for DDR2.

sailer

Splendid
So, will the PC3200 DDR RAM from my old PC work in my new Asus P5N32-E 680i motherboard?

Cheers

Graham

If I'm reading this correctly, you have PC3200 DDR ram in your computer and its working now, because you're using it to ask this question. It might be that your present motherboard does allow DDR to be used in addition to DDR2. If so, yes it will work, obviously, but it won't work the best. Since the supplier is willing to exchange your present ram for the correct ram, do it. It will be much better for long term, and if you don't do it now, the supplier may refuse to exchange later.

You write that you have an old machine to use for the few days of being without the new machine. It may be a pain, but its well worth it in the long run.

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
That board only has 240-pin slots. If you want, GreyKnight, go ahead and turn 'em both off, take out one of your DDR sticks from your old rig, and try fitting it in the new one. It shouldn't fit. Though the slots are the same length, I believe the notch has been placed differently to prevent installation of incompatible DDR in DDR2 slots.

Sailer, I think you might be reading it incorrectly. GreyKnight's typing on his new rig, but it still has the incorrectly shipped PC6400 5-5-5-12 in it (at least, that's what I'm thinking).

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Your new board will only accept and use one type (ddr or ddr2) memory at a time. If you can use either depends compleatly on hte fact of the slots for memory. If you DO NOT have a ddr slot and only have ddr2 slots then no your pc 3200 ram WILL NOT work in that board.

sailer

Splendid
That's why I was cautious in my post. I didn't see how PC3200 memory could work, because of the physical differences, but was not sure if there might be extra slots for it in the board or what. I also wondered if the question was literal, like he was using it, or retorical, like it could be used.

GreyKnight

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Thanks folks. I guess I'll go back to my old rig for now and wait for the new memory to be delivered. I have the normal DDR2 Corsair memory in at the moment (the packet wasn't sealed, so I can easily re-package it) but I think you guys are correct that the pin configuration is different. Not a problem, there's nothing wrong with my old rig :D

In response to Derek2006 who said
You were smart enough to build a computer but then don't know the differences between DDR and DDR2?

Yes Derek, that's exactly right! Building a PC is easy, but I've not done it for a few years so I'm out of touch with memory types (I will be reading up on it in due course). It didn't take a huge mental leap to realise when buying the new motherboard that having DDR2 slots probably meant that buying DDR2 memory was also a good idea. :)

Mondoman

Splendid
...Building a PC is easy, but I've not done it for a few years so I'm out of touch with memory types (I will be reading up on it in due course). ...
Umm, next time you may want to read first. You will save a ton of money without losing any performance (i.e. Dominator is likely massive overkill in your setup and hence a big extra expense without any performance benefit).

Mondoman

Splendid
I believe in future proofing as best I can, I won't be upgrading for a few years yet.
1) The Dominator line isn't useful for future-proofing, it's just extra bling.
2) If you want to future-proof, you should be buying faster RAM (e.g. DDR2-1066 or faster).

Cost is no object really.
Fair enough. Next time, let us know first, so we can buy Corsair stock! :wink:

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Last week i got a computer in for repair. When i tried to boot the machine it gave me a beep code - i flipped the ac switch before it stopped giving me the full beep code, since i was told the harddrive wasn´t alright and i had the spare part lying right next to it.
When i opened the case and disconnected the IDE cables, my hand barely touched the DIMM slots. The 512 MB DDR2 module just jumped out. Made me wonder, but i didn´t check to see what kind of memory it was. To make it short, in the end a 512MB stick DDR2 was fried, a 1024 mb stick DDR was fried and the mainboard, a Asrock K7s41 was done too. I checked both dimm slots, both broken. The owner just stuck a 512 DDR2 Ram module next to a 1GB DDR Ram module, installed a new HD and booted the machine up. He concluded the HD was broken and brought it in.
The HD was fine by the way.

Now i´ve a homeless Socket A Sempron lying arround.

abhin baiju

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
ok i want to know that does my Twin MOS memory card work on my pc perfectly Details:::----

It's is a DDR-1-DIMM ,PC3200(CL3) 512 MB on my old computer's motherboard ===
My Motherboard is a ASUS K8V-MX