Will PCI-E x1 card fit in a PCI-e 2.0 x16 slot?

geekout01

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hi I'm about to buy a WLAN Card that uses the smaller PCIe x1 slot and the WLAN card is the ASUS PCE-AC66 802.11ac, well my only PCIe x1 slot is blocked by my big and powerful Powercolor DEVIL13 7990, I was wondering if a regular PCIe 2.0 x16 would go in the slot and function safely and successfully, I do know that PCIe is backwards compatible. All I need to know is that if a PCIe x1 would fit in a PCIe 2.0 x16.

Solution

Nope.

As long as the card has the same or less size than the slot, it will fit.
Will it work as you want it to? Maybe.

What does matter is whether you will end up disabling or reducing the bandwidth of other slots by adding this card.
Read the manual for your motherboard.
It will tell you what is shared, disabled or otherwise impacted by adding a card, and where you may add it without impacting the rest of your system.

For example. Using the second x16 slot in many boards forces the main video card to run at x8 instead of x16.
Another example is the shared x1 slots that may impact other slots in your machine.

This is often a matter of having more options on a given...

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

Nope.

As long as the card has the same or less size than the slot, it will fit.
Will it work as you want it to? Maybe.

What does matter is whether you will end up disabling or reducing the bandwidth of other slots by adding this card.
Read the manual for your motherboard.
It will tell you what is shared, disabled or otherwise impacted by adding a card, and where you may add it without impacting the rest of your system.

For example. Using the second x16 slot in many boards forces the main video card to run at x8 instead of x16.
Another example is the shared x1 slots that may impact other slots in your machine.

This is often a matter of having more options on a given motherboard than a cpu and bridge chip can handle all at once. Compromises are made. It's up to you to decide how best to allocate limited rescources.

You have the manual. It will tell you what if any impact there is to what you want to do.

Newf.

Solution

intrepix

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008

There is one possible option which will allow you to use your on board PCI-E 1X slot even though its covered by other hardware. I bought and use a "PCI-E 1X riser card extender extension flex cable adapter" , long reference name but here is a link to an inexpensive solution
that solved the same problem I had ........http://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-PC-PCI-Expres-PCI-E-Riser-Card-Extender-Extension-Ribbon-Flex-Relocate-Cable-/360681715685