[SOLVED] Will power requirements for 2 different CPUs be the same if their TDP is the same?

hasnain.hayderjs

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
I currently have an RX 5700 with a ryzen 3 2200g that is being powered by a 500W EVGA 80+ power supply. As of right now, there are no problems at all with my build, temps are okay, and my PSU doesn't seem to be overloading.

My questions is that if I upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600, which has the same 65W TDP as the 2200G, would the power requirements stay the same or will the new CPU require more power.

Also, I'd like to know if my PSU will be enough to power the RX 5700 and the Ryzen 5 3600, or if I should consider upgrading the PSU as well. Money is tight, and I would rather upgrade my CPU before my PSU.

Solution
I currently have an RX 5700 with a ryzen 3 2200g that is being powered by a 500W EVGA 80+ power supply. As of right now, there are no problems at all with my build, temps are okay, and my PSU doesn't seem to be overloading.

My questions is that if I upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600, which has the same 65W TDP as the 2200G, would the power requirements stay the same or will the new CPU require more power.

Also, I'd like to know if my PSU will be enough to power the RX 5700 and the Ryzen 5 3600, or if I should consider upgrading the PSU as well. Money is tight, and I would rather upgrade my CPU before my PSU.

Generally speaking, yes you'll be okay. Provided you have a good power supply. The reason the 2200G consumes 65W is because...
The power requirements should stay the same more or less.
Even if they differed by 10 or 20 watts....that shouldn't put you over what your PSU can reliably output...and if it does....I think your PSU is probably on the small side for your system to begin with.

Last edited:

Generally speaking, yes you'll be okay. Provided you have a good power supply. The reason the 2200G consumes 65W is because you have iGPU integrated inside and matrix math (MIMD ops) consume a lot of power.

I think you will find that you will consume a few watts more however as you are actually using MORE of your CPU cores which means MORE of the CPU area will be active. But it won't be drastically more.

TDP's are funny things. Intel and AMD rate them differently. But in general they are broken down into ranges. 65, 95, 105, 120W or more are common for desktop. Now here's the funny thing: You can have an i3 rated at 65W and an i7 rated at 65W. Why? The i7 has at least twice as many cores, and runs faster. Why would it have a similar TDP? Well it's simple: The i3 is just a cut down i7 with likely defective dies. But if you run them side by side the i7 will definitely run warmer because more of it's circuits are active. Like I said, TDP ratings are a funny thing.

Reactions: jay32267
Solution

hasnain.hayderjs

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Generally speaking, yes you'll be okay. Provided you have a good power supply. The reason the 2200G consumes 65W is because you have iGPU integrated inside and matrix math (MIMD ops) consume a lot of power.

I think you will find that you will consume a few watts more however as you are actually using MORE of your CPU cores which means MORE of the CPU area will be active. But it won't be drastically more.

TDP's are funny things. Intel and AMD rate them differently. But in general they are broken down into ranges. 65, 95, 105, 120W or more are common for desktop. Now here's the funny thing: You can have an i3 rated at 65W and an i7 rated at 65W. Why? The i7 has at least twice as many cores, and runs faster. Why would it have a similar TDP? Well it's simple: The i3 is just a cut down i7 with likely defective dies. But if you run them side by side the i7 will definitely run warmer because more of it's circuits are active. Like I said, TDP ratings are a funny thing.

Right. A lot of people say that TDP =/= power draw, and it makes sense that a CPU with more cores will consume more power even though its TDP might be the same as another CPU.