[SOLVED] Will prebuilt motherboard fit into aftermarket case?

chrollo2k16

Prominent
Jan 4, 2019
My brother has an hp prebuilt. It has an i7-7700 and 8gb ddr4. The only parts I want to use from this build is the cpu, cpu cooler, storage and the ram. I want to move the parts listed into a new case and also add a gpu and new psu. Will the motherboard fit into a standard atx case? does hp use nonstandard motherboard standoffs?

Solution
Can't do it. Well, you COULD, but it would require a major modification project to do it because that is a custom proprietary motherboard.

Form factor: Customized: 20.5x22.0 cm (8.1x8.7 in)

If you want to move the CPU and cooler, memory and hard drives to an aftermarket case, you are going to NEED a new motherboard, or be prepared to do a great deal of modification on the order of practically recreating the motherboard tray and the back I/O panel of the case. Really, it's not feasible. It would cost more than a new motherboard and would take tens of hours of work to do it. Not worth it.

I'd recommend this, as there are very few new boards available anymore for the H270, Z270 or B250 chipsets. Might as well go with a Z series...
Yes, HP does OFTEN use proprietary motherboards, cases and power supplies. Depending on the board model, it COULD be a standard ATX or microATX motherboard, or it could be proprietary. We'd need to know the exact motherboard model number, but the prebuilt system express service tag or model number of the prebuilt system would be helpful too.

Even if the board does have matching standoff locations, it may use a proprietary power supply that is not compatible with standard ATX power supplies that have 24 pin motherboard ATX connectors too. If so, then you'd need to purchase an adapter to use a standard power supply with that board, because usually those power supplies will not bolt into a standard case PSU location, and even if they did you probably wouldn't want to use one of them anyhow since they're usually very poor quality or at least not good quality.

chrollo2k16

Prominent
Jan 4, 2019
Yes, HP does OFTEN use proprietary motherboards, cases and power supplies. Depending on the board model, it COULD be a standard ATX or microATX motherboard, or it could be proprietary. We'd need to know the exact motherboard model number, but the prebuilt system express service tag or model number of the prebuilt system would be helpful too.

Even if the board does have matching standoff locations, it may use a proprietary power supply that is not compatible with standard ATX power supplies that have 24 pin motherboard ATX connectors too. If so, then you'd need to purchase an adapter to use a standard power supply with that board, because usually those power supplies will not bolt into a standard case PSU location, and even if they did you probably wouldn't want to use one of them anyhow since they're usually very poor quality or at least not good quality.

It is pretty much this: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05403971, but its just 8gb of ram instead of 12gb. Oh and I wont be using the power supply from the prebuilt. Im going to part out the motherboard, cpu, cpu cooler, hard drive and ram. I'm going to put those parts into the new case. I'm going to buy a new power supply instead of using the really low 180w.

Last edited:
Can't do it. Well, you COULD, but it would require a major modification project to do it because that is a custom proprietary motherboard.

Form factor: Customized: 20.5x22.0 cm (8.1x8.7 in)

If you want to move the CPU and cooler, memory and hard drives to an aftermarket case, you are going to NEED a new motherboard, or be prepared to do a great deal of modification on the order of practically recreating the motherboard tray and the back I/O panel of the case. Really, it's not feasible. It would cost more than a new motherboard and would take tens of hours of work to do it. Not worth it.

I'd recommend this, as there are very few new boards available anymore for the H270, Z270 or B250 chipsets. Might as well go with a Z series board rather than B250 or H270 because those are just as expensive no due to lack of supply since they've been out of manufacturing for almost a year and a half now. Plus if you decide to move up to an unlocked CPU later on or have to replace the CPU for any reason, already having an unlocked board gives you a few more options and generally speaking the Z series boards are more feature rich anyhow.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock - Z270 Killer SLI/ac ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $79.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-24 01:00 EST-0500

You can however roll the dice and try to find a used board on Ebay if you can find one from a reputable seller. Most any B250, H270 or Z270 motherboard made by ASRock, ASUS or Gigabyte would be a good option. Obviously even those brands will have some really cheap quality boards at the low end of the spectrum, so if you decide to do something like that it might be a good idea to come back first and ask if a particular board model is a good choice or not. I personally would avoid all of the lower end MSI boards, and if you're willing to pay for a high end MSI board there are as good or better options from these other companies in most cases unless you find a supreme deal.

Solution

chrollo2k16

Prominent
Jan 4, 2019

I'd recommend this, as there are very few new boards available anymore for the H270, Z270 or B250 chipsets. Might as well go with a Z series board rather than B250 or H270 because those are just as expensive no due to lack of supply since they've been out of manufacturing for almost a year and a half now. Plus if you decide to move up to an unlocked CPU later on or have to replace the CPU for any reason, already having an unlocked board gives you a few more options and generally speaking the Z series boards are more feature rich anyhow.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock - Z270 Killer SLI/ac ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $79.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-24 01:00 EST-0500

You can however roll the dice and try to find a used board on Ebay if you can find one from a reputable seller. Most any B250, H270 or Z270 motherboard made by ASRock, ASUS or Gigabyte would be a good option. Obviously even those brands will have some really cheap quality boards at the low end of the spectrum, so if you decide to do something like that it might be a good idea to come back first and ask if a particular board model is a good choice or not. I personally would avoid all of the lower end MSI boards, and if you're willing to pay for a high end MSI board there are as good or better options from these other companies in most cases unless you find a supreme deal.

Okay thank you! I'm definitely going take these options in consideration and look for a new MOBO!