Will processor switch affect Vista OEM?

JuiceJones

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
I purchased Vista Home Premium OEM and have the parts to build my mother a new computer, however, I planned to switch out the PD 805 with an E4300 or E4400 on April 22.

My simple question is, if I build it now and install Vista on the 805, will the processor switch be hassle-free? Or will I have to reactivate Vista?

I Googled around some, as I'm sure this is answered elsewhere, but any answer and/or link would be appreciated.

As the previous poster stated, you can pretty much change anything you want as long as you do NOT change the motherboard, without violating the Licensing Agreement in Vista. If you change the motherboard, and have the OEM version of Vista, you will lose the license.

As far as changing the processor, you will most likely have to re-activate, but that will only be a minor nuisance. You should still have your license intact though.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
It will cause a MAJOR change.........

Switching to a 4300 will make Vista run better......... :D
;)

Seriously, you won't need to reinstall, probably not even reactivate. I've swapped out other hardware (not mobo though) and haven't had any problems.

You should be fine. At WORST, maybe reactivate, which is no biggie. You'll be good, no worries.

shebitme

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
what does reactivating entail?

calling microsoft, or just put in my serial number again?

i am going to upgrade as well when the new chips come out in october

To reactivate would basically mean that your computer (or you) contacts Microsoft to update the information about your computer hardware. If you have an internet connection, it only takes a minute or two. If you must call it in, it could take approximately 5 minutes.

If you have an internet connection, you wouldn't need to input any numbers. The computer does it all for you. If you call it in, you would need to input the activation code.

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
So lets say I do want to change my mobo on Vista 32 OEM. Even with a mobo of the same exact model I would invalidate my license? My current mobo is not letting me change cpu voltage, so I'd like to return it for another. Am I stuck with the mobo?

nitefox1

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009

As I understand the OEM rules and regulations as long as 2/3 of the computer's vital components (mobo/CPU/HD) are the same you don't have to do anything.