[SOLVED] Will putting GPU in second PCI slot affect performance ?

Srna

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
Hello i have Noctua NH-D15 and rtx 3080 and space between them is rly little. The backplate is getting rly hot so i want to get rid of that little space and put it in secod slot for better airflow.

So i have question if i put my rtx 3080 in second slot, will my performance decrease ?

Motherboard is ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H

Thanks a lot

Solution
Yes, you will go from an x16 slot to an 8x slot. Might not have a huge impact on performance, but anytime the card wants to exceed that bandwidth limit, it will take another cycle.

You are already on PCIe 3.0, half what the card can actually do, so this would be half again. (Not that the 3080 needs all the bandwidth, haven't seen a comprehensive test of how much it really needs)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you will go from an x16 slot to an 8x slot. Might not have a huge impact on performance, but anytime the card wants to exceed that bandwidth limit, it will take another cycle.

You are already on PCIe 3.0, half what the card can actually do, so this would be half again. (Not that the 3080 needs all the bandwidth, haven't seen a comprehensive test of how much it really needs)

Reactions: Srna
Solution