[SOLVED] will reinstalling/formatting windows affect my upgraded RAM?

May 13, 2020
i upgraded my RAM from a 4 to an 8gb ram. this was done in a questionable hardware store. not 100% sure i can trust. running this in the command prompt (wmic memorychip get devicelocator, memorytype) returns a 0 (unknown). i am worried that reinstalling windows will delete whatever drivers is used. is this a problem, and if so, is there a way i can overcome this problem and still reinstall windows?

Solution
i upgraded my RAM from a 4 to an 8gb ram. this was done in a questionable hardware store. not 100% sure i can trust. running this in the command prompt (wmic memorychip get devicelocator, memorytype) returns a 0 (unknown). i am worried that reinstalling windows will delete whatever drivers is used. is this a problem, and if so, is there a way i can overcome this problem and still reinstall windows?
Reinstalling windows will delete drivers. You need to prepare by getting the latest motherboard drivers from the manufacturer's website BEFORE you do your install. Get them safely stored to a USB drive so that you can install them as part of your Windows install.
If you haven't done a clean OS install recently, you can read the...

kanewolf

Titan
Reinstalling windows will delete drivers. You need to prepare by getting the latest motherboard drivers from the manufacturer's website BEFORE you do your install. Get them safely stored to a USB drive so that you can install them as part of your Windows install.
If you haven't done a clean OS install recently, you can read the Tom's how-to -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

Solution

TRENDING THREADS