Will removing motherboard battery reset bios to factory default?

G

I have a new build:
Asus P6x58D Premium
6 GB Corsair xms
i7-920
EVGA 470
HT Omega Striker 7.1 soundcard
WD Caviar Black 640
Corsair 850HX PS

Anyway put all components together hit start and all looked fine showed expressgate etc then went to setup and "no HDD detected" grrrrr tried different sata ports connectors etc to no avail. Couldn't wait to RMA to newegg the new HDD so ran to store bought new HDD it shows in bios but still get the "no HDD detected"! WTF? tried changing in bios to other than ide but no joy.
Oh have Thermaltake armor case plus and no internal speaker so don't get beeps. Anyway could this be a corrupt bios? If so how do I get factory bios defaults back? Will removing Mobo battery and reinstalling get factory defaults back? Any ideas? I think there is a conflict or maybe its the mobo? I know at least one of the HDDs is good but still get same message. This is a brand new build so haven't even gotten to the point of installing Win 7 Pro! PLEASE HELP!

tecmo34

Administrator
First: Removing the battery, along with disconnecting the power supply for 10 minutes will reset your BIOS to default

Second: When you get the "No hard drive detected" error is this after the boot process or when trying to install Win7? If you let the boot process complete without installing Win7, you will get that error message. You need to boot from your DVD drive and install Win7 first. If it won't let you install because no hard drive is detected, it is either a defective SATA cable or motherboard issue.

If you get everything installed, up and running & still get the error while posting, you need to go into your BIOS and disable your Marvel Storage Controller. This will solve that issue.

G

Thank you VERY MUCH for the advice! And the info. Will try your recommendation in the morning and post if this solves the issue! Again, much thanks. Has me baffled!

G

I've just taken the mobo battery out and disconnected the PS and waiting 10 minutes before reconnecting. Do I need to make any changes to the HDD settings "Storage Configuration" in Bios before installing Win 7 64 pro? The reason I am asking is I think I read somewhere something about changing from bios defaults ide config to AHCI? Or do I just power up install windows and go from there? Can't believe I'm in this situation. Build comps for friends and family with no problems. Just built two 1156 systems without a hitch and wouldn't you know start on my own dream system and run into gremlins!!! Oh the no HDD detected screen came up in the boot process before I got to installation. figured I couldn't install anything if no HDD detected. Anyway only a few minutes left before I reconnect battery and PS. Thanks for any and all help with this guys/gals.

G

Hey tecmo34, thank you for your assistance. Have OS installed and still getting no HDD message during post. How do I disable the marvel controller in my bios? I don't want to screw anything up so waiting to hear back from anyone. THANKS FOR ANY HELP! In holding pattern here.

G

Already proceeded with the default setting which was IDE can I change it after installing OS? Don't want to try anything til I get rid of the no HDD detected message

tecmo34

Administrator
You go in to your BIOS and go into advanced options and look for the Marvel Storage Controller (if you link your motherboard I might be able to locate by reviewing your manual online).

Go to the Storage forum and they have a sticky to describe how to switch controllers. Easier than me writing it up :).