[SOLVED] Will replacing all my storage drives cause any issues?

Damiaan

Commendable
Aug 7, 2017
Hello,

I am planning to replace my current HDD with a new one and also add 2 new SSDs. My idea was to just get new, completely clean drives and also a fresh HDD, since the one currently in my PC is nearing 8 years old and is becoming quite a bit slower than it was in the past. Except from having to reïnstall everything including my OS, could this cause any other issues? Or would I just plug them in, install windows 10 and happily go about using my PC?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Depends what is on these secondary drives.
If there are applications/programs on them, problem.
Otherwise, no problem at all.

You could also consider cloning from the old OS drive to a new one. Prevent all that reinstall.
If and only if the current OS runs reasonably well.
If the current OS is an old install, or sort of gunked up...a new clean install might be recommended.

USAFRet

Titan

You could also consider cloning from the old OS drive to a new one. Prevent all that reinstall.
If the current OS is an old install, or sort of gunked up...a new clean install might be recommended.

Solution

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
I wouldn't expect there to be any issues providing the new drives are clean; the only time you'd really run into a major problem would likely be if your hardware was too out of date to support Windows 10. But I presume you've checked that so I would find it unlikely that this would be a problem.

If you haven't checked it, make sure you do before you install Windows 10 :)

Damiaan

Commendable
Aug 7, 2017
I wouldn't expect there to be any issues providing the new drives are clean; the only time you'd really run into a major problem would likely be if your hardware was too out of date to support Windows 10. But I presume you've checked that so I would find it unlikely that this would be a problem.

If you haven't checked it, make sure you do before you install Windows 10 :)
My bad for not mentioning this, I am already running windows 10, although it's the anniversary edition. Thanks for the reply!

No the new drives would be store bought and completely "fresh" so then I would be safe if I understand correctly?
I have thought of just cloning it too, but I am feeling a bit stubborn about this and feel the need to get rid of it all and start over hahaha.
Also thanks for the reply!

Damiaan

Commendable
Aug 7, 2017
Starting over can be a good idea...;)

That's very very usefull! thanks a lot!