[SOLVED] Will Replacing My CPU Solve My Problem?

Jul 4, 2019
I Have been having issues with my computer where it would frequently restart due to high CPU (i5 6400 2.7) usage. I recently fixed the issue and my PC runs now, but my CPU is often being used at 100%. I have been using Bioshock Infinite to test the gaming performance. Using a monitoring software I am noticing that the CPU is constantly running at 100% while there is little stress on the GPU (GTX 970). Before the issues arose, this game ran perfectly with the same build. I am considering just replacing the CPU with an i5 7600K 3.8 because it is compatible with my mobo. Will this replacement solve my issue or does it go deeper than simple worn out CPU.
My specs are:
i5 6400 2.7
GTX 970
16 GB DDR4
MSI B150 Gaming M3
EVGA 500w
120 GB SSD (OS)
1 TB HDD

Solution
PC's do not spontaneously restart/reboot due to high CPU usage....

I'd look hard at temps or your PSU, MB, or even RAM

If Malwarebytes AntiMalware or Roguekiller64 portable or a few others don't find your constant high task usage, a 'delete partition/full reinstall'l sure will

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
That isn't how a CPU works, if you do a taxing task on your PC your CPU is going to hit 100%. A 7600K is a mediocre upgrade as it doesn't give you any extra cores or threads, only a little bit more clock speed.

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
I Have been having issues with my computer where it would frequently restart due to high CPU (i5 6400 2.7) usage. I recently fixed the issue and my PC runs now, but my CPU is often being used at 100%. I have been using Bioshock Infinite to test the gaming performance. Using a monitoring software I am noticing that the CPU is constantly running at 100% while there is little stress on the GPU (GTX 970). Before the issues arose, this game ran perfectly with the same build. I am considering just replacing the CPU with an i5 7600K 3.8 because it is compatible with my mobo. Will this replacement solve my issue or does it go deeper than simple worn out CPU.
My specs are:
i5 6400 2.7
GTX 970
16 GB DDR4
MSI B150 Gaming M3
EVGA 500w
120 GB SSD (OS)
1 TB HDD
You definitely want to check your recourse monitor and see what kind of things are running, and use a free virus checking tool or just using windows defender scan, sounds like there is a bunch of crap running in the background of your system

Reactions: Oli1115
Jul 4, 2019
You definitely want to check your recourse monitor and see what kind of things are running, and use a free virus checking tool or just using windows defender scan, sounds like there is a bunch of crap running in the background of your system
Windows defender scan came back clean. I am finding that a process by the name of TiWorker.exe is using an average of 80% CPU consumption so that is where the problem may be.

harrystam

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2015
windows superfetch probably. lol.
I definitely +1 the idea of a clean OS install.

Most pinned CPU's are due to googlechrome....kidding. On a serious ote just pop open task manager > processes and see if anything spikes or stays consistently high.

PC's do not spontaneously restart/reboot due to high CPU usage....

I'd look hard at temps or your PSU, MB, or even RAM

If Malwarebytes AntiMalware or Roguekiller64 portable or a few others don't find your constant high task usage, a 'delete partition/full reinstall'l sure will

Solution