Will routers from non-name brand providers have monthly fees?

Avillius

Reputable
May 15, 2017
Last year, I purchased a TP-LINK Archer C7 with my PC, but at the time, my parents wouldn't allow me to actually use it because "it'll cost too much per month," because they assumed that just because their 50mbps Xfinity router had monthly fees. I would also like to note that I am the only person in my family with an extensive knowledge of tech, and my parents are both "commoners." The reason that I'm asking this is because I found out that my mom was trying to sell the router.

So, will I end up having to pay monthly for this 1.75GB/s router?

Solution

Well, yes.
You pay Xfinity, or Cox, or Comcast, or Verizon, or whoever....
They provide your internet connection. You pay them monthly.

You can then rent a router from your ISP. This incurs a small monthly fee, above the basic fee.
Or, you can purchase your own router, which does not incur a monthly fee.

USAFRet

Titan

Routers do not have a monthly fee. Ever.
The fee you pay monthly is to the ISP (Xfinity), to provide a signal to your house.

if she was paying a monthly fee for the router from comcast then she may end up doing something illegal because if you're paying a monthly fee for equipment you are renting it which means you do not own it. any router or modem you buy on your own does not have a monthly fee but when it comes to problems you ISP might not help because your not using there own equipment

Avillius

Reputable
May 15, 2017

So will the signal require monthly payments?

USAFRet

Titan

Well, yes.
You pay Xfinity, or Cox, or Comcast, or Verizon, or whoever....
They provide your internet connection. You pay them monthly.

You can then rent a router from your ISP. This incurs a small monthly fee, above the basic fee.
Or, you can purchase your own router, which does not incur a monthly fee.

Solution

Avillius

Reputable
May 15, 2017

My bad about not specifying, but are you talking about the signal from the TP-Link Archer C7?

USAFRet

Titan

OK...that is a 'router'.
Your setup also needs a 'modem'. This is what actually talks to the ISP.
The box you currently have from Xfinity is almost certainly a modem/router in one box.
ISP->Modem->Router->Devices.
Frequently, the modem and router are in the same physical box.

But the TP-Link thing you are considering will incur no additional monthly fees over what you currently have.

Why, specifically, are you looking to buy this TP-Link router?

Avillius

Reputable
May 15, 2017

I bought the router last year with my PC, but just started thinking about this today.

USAFRet

Titan

Just connecting it to your current set up will not incur any additional fees.

It also may not provide any additional benefit over what you have now, and you have to set it up properly.