Will running 2 devices into a single usb 2 header via splitter work?

CMD_Fuller

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Hi all.

Wondering if I can run Corsair link software from an H100i and the Bitfenix Pandora ICON display on the same usb 2.0 header using a splitter. Will they both work simultaneously or will they conflict or worse overload the header.

Thanks.

Solution

The standard USB2 and USB3 motherboard headers support two ports - that's why the header has so many more pins than USB-A/B connectors do. There is no splitter here.

InvalidError

Titan
If you really mean using a passive splitter cable of some sort, no. USB is a point-to-point bus and you need a hub controller if you want to plug multiple devices in a single host port. If you put two devices on the same host port, they will trample each other's data during USB enumeration and even if that phase is somehow successful with both devices recognized, it is quite possible the drivers won't be able to make sense from seeing two client devices attached to the same node in the USB tree without a hub or compound device driver between them.

CMD_Fuller

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Thanks InvalidError, that's what i thought. I'll have to go with a pci card with an internal header i guess, either that or leave one of my front i/o usb's unplugged.

InvalidError

Titan

The standard USB2 and USB3 motherboard headers support two ports - that's why the header has so many more pins than USB-A/B connectors do. There is no splitter here.

Solution