[SOLVED] Will running a 59.5Hz & 60Hz monitor put strain on my GPU when trying to game at over 60 FPS ?

Jan 18, 2022
www.youtube.com
Hi there,

The GPU I am running is a AMD Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Nitro + OC edition.

I am currently running a set up with 2 monitors. One screen is an old all in one desktop that has a 1080p resolution at a refresh rate of 59.5Hz.

The other monitor is 720p resolution running at 60Hz.

Will these 2 monitors give me issue running my games at over 60FPS because of the 2 different refresh rates?

I currently use the all in one monitor as the one I have my games open on as it is the bigger one and the other one I use as just a second screen for things like having my discord open at the same time.

I have been having problems with my GPU getting hot as well as frame drops here & there. It may just need some new thermal pads and re-thermal pasting but I need to wait until pay day in order to obtain the correct equipment to do so.

Anything to advise? :)

Solution
No the different refresh rates won't hurt anything. Running your games above 60 FPS just means your CPU and GPU are working harder, and running multiple screens means a little more VRAM consumption.

All you really need to re-paste a GPU are some screwdrivers and new thermal compound. New pads are optional if they survive removal of the heatsink, depends on what they used. Maybe $40 total if you are buying everything.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No the different refresh rates won't hurt anything. Running your games above 60 FPS just means your CPU and GPU are working harder, and running multiple screens means a little more VRAM consumption.

All you really need to re-paste a GPU are some screwdrivers and new thermal compound. New pads are optional if they survive removal of the heatsink, depends on what they used. Maybe $40 total if you are buying everything.

Reactions: Abookiii
Solution
Jan 18, 2022
www.youtube.com

Thank you for responding! I appreciate the information, I will just hold it out until I can get some new paste & pads on my GPU!

Glad to hear the refresh rates of the monitors won't damage or put extra strain on my hardware but, will definitely need some new 144Hz monitors soon! :)