[SOLVED] Will rust on PC case spread to motherboard, graphics card etc (other components)?

Jo_Hardy

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Hi all,

My PC case is a Cooler Master Elite 430 (I know ancient). I am building a new PC now and thought of reusing the case for the new build (since I am pretty overbudget now). But there's a bit of rust especially around the rear fan vent and top fan vent. So wondering if this could work as a catalyst to spread rust to my graphics card and new motherboard? :oops:

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
If you're going to put in some serious heatware into that case, I'd avoid the case altogether, since the case by today's standards won't be able to introduce proper air to the components, and the top fans are too close to the VRM area of pretty much any motherboard(let alone the rams) in spite of having an offset.

As for your rust question, it shouldn't but if the rust developed over time without the case being put in storage then you might want to think about the humidity in your room. Often times you'll see a motherboard refuse to fire up/POST since there was too much humidity in the crib/workplace.

You could use some high grit sand paper(or rust remover) to deal with the rust and then spray on some black paint to mask the affected...

Lutfij

Titan
If you're going to put in some serious heatware into that case, I'd avoid the case altogether, since the case by today's standards won't be able to introduce proper air to the components, and the top fans are too close to the VRM area of pretty much any motherboard(let alone the rams) in spite of having an offset.

As for your rust question, it shouldn't but if the rust developed over time without the case being put in storage then you might want to think about the humidity in your room. Often times you'll see a motherboard refuse to fire up/POST since there was too much humidity in the crib/workplace.

You could use some high grit sand paper(or rust remover) to deal with the rust and then spray on some black paint to mask the affected area but they won't be a problem in terms of spreading.

Reactions: Jo_Hardy
Solution

Jo_Hardy

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012

You could use some high grit sand paper(or rust remover) to deal with the rust and then spray on some black paint to mask the affected area but they won't be a problem in terms of spreading.

Thanks Lutfij :) I'll try to buy a new case, provided I can sell off my old 3rd gen it system with this case

Sorry for taking forever to mark best answer 🙊 got caught up in life.

Have a good day :)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Just to clarify further, rust isn't "contagious" in this manner. When you see areas of rust "growing" on something metal, it's not because the rust is spreading or anything, simply that the conditions that caused the original rust are still present on the newly rusted areas. Rust is caused by the iron being exposed to water and oxygen.