[SOLVED] Will Ryzen 3 3100 bottleneck GTX 1070 ?

May 28, 2020
I have this configuration:
CPU: Ryzen 3 3100
GPU: GTX 1070 8GB
MOBO: Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (8x2) 3000mhz
HDD: Seagate 2tb 5400 RPM
SSD: Adata 240 GB SSD (for OS)
PSU: Corsair CX450
Case: Ant Esports ICE 511MT
Do you think the Ryzen 3 3100 will bottleneck the GTX 1070 ? If it will then what is the most ideal cpu closest to the 3100's price ?
Please reply. Thank You.

Solution
Bottleneck would be the wrong term in all honesty.

There are points in some AAA titles where the limit of 4 threads are going to hold back performance.

It is never going to be to the point of unplayability and if your monitor is 60 htz its going to be fairly unnoticeable.
The 3300x though is a minimum I would personally look at purchasing new nowadays.

If you already have the ryzen 3100 then at the moment I honestly wouldn't sweat it, the majority of the time it's going to be absolutely fine.

If the above components haven't been purchased yet then there are 2 points apart from the above I would look into.

1. When buying a ryzen 3 series CPU you absolutely need to make sure with the motherboard supplier that any B450 board has been...

There are points in some AAA titles where the limit of 4 threads are going to hold back performance.

It is never going to be to the point of unplayability and if your monitor is 60 htz its going to be fairly unnoticeable.
The 3300x though is a minimum I would personally look at purchasing new nowadays.

If you already have the ryzen 3100 then at the moment I honestly wouldn't sweat it, the majority of the time it's going to be absolutely fine.

If the above components haven't been purchased yet then there are 2 points apart from the above I would look into.

1. When buying a ryzen 3 series CPU you absolutely need to make sure with the motherboard supplier that any B450 board has been bios updated to support the CPU, it's not something you'll be able to do yourself without a gen 1 or 2 ryzen CPU on hand.

2. The cx450 is pushing it to run a 1070 on,, it'll handle it but you really ought to look at the cx550 for more headroom.

Solution
It should be a decent pairing. Maybe it will bottleneck in some cpu heavy games but not to the point of being a problem, even the best systems can bottleneck in certain circumstances. If you have a 60Hz monitor all you really need is 60+ FPS and it will do that. The ideal cpu is the 3600 but that’s significantly more money. I’d say get the 3100 it will be good, your can always upgrade later if you want.

1. When buying a ryzen 3 series CPU you absolutely need to make sure with the motherboard supplier that any B450 board has been bios updated to support the CPU, it's not something you'll be able to do yourself without a gen 1 or 2 ryzen CPU on hand.

2. The cx450 is pushing it to run a 1070 on,, it'll handle it but you really ought to look at the cx550 for more headroom.
It’s a 4 core 8 thread cpu and very decent for gaming https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3-3300x-3100-cpu-review/3

May 28, 2020
It should be a decent pairing. Maybe it will bottleneck in some cpu heavy games but not to the point of being a problem, even the best systems can bottleneck in certain circumstances. If you have a 60Hz monitor all you really need is 60+ FPS and it will do that. The ideal cpu is the 3600 but that’s significantly more money. I’d say get the 3100 it will be good, your can always upgrade later if you want.
Thank you very much it was very helpful and informative !

May 28, 2020

Thank you very much as I haven't bought the parts yet I will do as you have said. Thank You !

TRENDING THREADS