Will Ryzen 3000 be compatible with B450 motherboards?

Oct 5, 2018
Hey everyone. This July I’ll be upgrading to a ryzen 5 3600 when it is released. I’d like to know if I’d have to upgrade my motherboard as well, or if ryzen 3000 will be compatible.

My mobo is the Asus - PRIME B450-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard

Yes it should be compatible since AMD promised to support all AM4 boards through 2020. But what that means is a bit confused by recent leaks suggesting at least some of the new 3000-series CPUs won't be a good fit on all the current boards. But even if those leaks pan out I am pretty confident we will be able to find CPU's that work well and provide measurable improvement.

Nov 1, 2018

AMD announced that all AM4 motherboards will be compatible with all Ryzen (and lowly A series APUs) until 2020,
wich I assume will be the year of release of the Ryzen 4000 series CPUs

Oct 11, 2018
I got the idea that they said: We will keep the same socket until 2020, which does not means old chipsets would handle fine the future processors (even if they fit in the socket).
I imagine that one could miss some new features by using future processors in old boards. Even, you will need a BIOS update, which is not promissed either.

That's a good point. First, my assumption is it's a fair certainly AMD will release appropriate AGESA updates to initialize 3000 series processors on AM4 as promised. But just how much obligation do board partners have to incorporate them into a BIOS update for all board models? Since there isn't a B550 being rumored (there IS an X570 in the rumors) they may, for instance, prefer to steer the public to a new and improved B450 board line for Ryzen 3000 series processors. Considering just how down-market almost all B450 boards are, that seems feasible.

In short: one must wonder just how much influence AMD has, or chooses to exert, on their partners to fully support their fielded models with updates.

If update is needed at all, I don't believe MB manufacturers would risk not to update BIOS to suit new Ryzen CPUs. Same for new chipsets if needed. Ryzen lineup is still raising steam, they just would not risk not to be on same band wagon.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS