Question Will Ryzen 3000 worth with B450

Jun 10, 2019
I have a Asus Prime B450M-A motherboard and I’m planning to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3400X when it comes out on the 7th of July and I was wondering if the new CPU will even work with my motherboard. Will I need to update my BIOS/UEFI or will I have to buy a whole new motherboard.

I have a Asus Prime B450M-A motherboard and I’m planning to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3400X when it comes out on the 7th of July and I was wondering if the new CPU will even work with my motherboard. Will I need to update my BIOS/UEFI or will I have to buy a whole new motherboard.

Yes your motherboard will most likely end up supporting the Ryzen 3000 series. Yes you will need a UEFI/BIOS update which may not be available yet. I've had reassurances from my motherboard maker (ASRock) that my AB350 PRO4 will get Ryzen 3000 support but I am still waiting for the necessary UEFI/BIOS update.

There is a chance your ASUS Prime B450M-A motherboard will end up PCIe 4.0 to the first slot, but even if it doesn't you will still be able to use PCIe 3.0 parts like current generation video cards and NVMe drives. Remember PCIe is backwards compatible with previous versions of PCIe. PCIe 4.0 will not initially be important for consumer graphics cards but will have an impact on the performance of high quality NVMe drives.

Jun 10, 2019
Yes your motherboard will most likely end up supporting the Ryzen 3000 series. Yes you will need a UEFI/BIOS update which may not be available yet. I've had reassurances from my motherboard maker (ASRock) that my AB350 PRO4 will get Ryzen 3000 support but I am still waiting for the necessary UEFI/BIOS update.

There is a chance your ASUS Prime B450M-A motherboard will end up PCIe 4.0 to the first slot, but even if it doesn't you will still be able to use PCIe 3.0 parts like current generation video cards and NVMe drives. Remember PCIe is backwards compatible with previous versions of PCIe. PCIe 4.0 will not initially be important for consumer graphics cards but will have an impact on the performance of high quality NVMe drives.
Ok thanks, I hope I don’t have to change my mobo but if it has to be done I’ll do it. Thanks for the reply man🙏🏼

Jun 10, 2019
Only if you stick with the current beta BIOSs that are out right now, AMD has stated that PCIe 4.0 will be locked out on 300/400 series boards on all future BIOS releases.
Yeah I just updated my bios to the latest version it said that it gets me comtatible for new Gen Ryzen so I’m happy about that. Just gotta wait now until July 7th