[SOLVED] Will Samsung Evo 970 plus work on a lightning m2 gen 4 slot?

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
I'm asking this question because I want to buy a new SSD and there are apparently 3 M2 slots on my tomahawk b560 and my old Samsung evo 870 didn't work in 2 of these slots. I put it in the middle one and that was the only one that could run it. It says lightning m2 gen4 on the cap. So I'm wondering what SSD's would these slots support?
My other option is to buy a 980 pro which is slightly more expensive.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
MSI Tomahawk b560 wifi
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B560-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/Specification

3x M.2 ports:

M2_1, only with an 11th Gen CPU (yours is what?)
Supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4

M2_2
Supports up to PCIe 3.0 x4
Supports SATA up to 6Gb/s (this is the only one your 870 EVO will work in)

M2_3
---------------------------------------------------------

So, a 970 EVO will work in M2_3, and M2_1 only if you have an 11th Gen CPU.

Reactions: JCarax
Solution

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B560-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/Specification

3x M.2 ports:

M2_1, only with an 11th Gen CPU (yours is what?)
Supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4

M2_2
Supports SATA up to 6Gb/s (this is the only one your 870 EVO will work in)

M2_3
---------------------------------------------------------

So, a 970 EVO will work in M2_3, and M2_1 only if you have an 11th Gen CPU.

Oh damn thanks for the clarification. I have an 11600kf. I'm guessing that'll work with the 970 evo? I read somewhere that they updated the "new" evo 970. Are they talking about evo 970 plus?

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
I installed the SSD just now and PC failed to boot a couple of times and when it did I don't see the ssd among my drivers. What might be the problem?
edit : Ok I see it as unallocated on disk manager. I'll try to relaunch bios again if the problem still persists.
edit 2 : So when I hit del during start up, the bios screen doesn't show. So it is a visual issue. Because I get a black screen and when I hit ctrl alt del the computer restarts again and I get windows screen. So the issue is accessing bios basically.
edit 3 : I also noticed that my 970 is running hotter than my old evo 850(thought it was 870), 44 degrees celcius vs 48. Considering that it isn't being utilized, isn't it strange?

Last edited:

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
Unallocated in Disk Management is not a BIOS problem. The drive is simply unallocated. Fix that in Disk Management.
That wasn't the actual problem, the problem was that I wasn't able to see the bios screen. How I solved it was that I connected my TV through HDMI and for some reason the bios showed up on that. It isn't detecting my actual monitor that is connected through DVI(which it has been since forever and never had this issue). Weird but handled for now.
I also did a clean install of windows on the new samsung, everything is working fine. Like I mentioned above evo 970 plus seems to be working a bit hot but I googled it and it seems to be the norm. Thanks for all the help.