Question Will SATA 3 SSD be obsolete because of M.2 NVMe SSD?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Probably.
SATA is way slower and takes up possibly more space than an nvme drive
Once CPU and boards have more pci lanes free, you can put more nvme on the board
PC can be smaller possibly as drives are smaller.

I don't know when, I hadn't planned on anything other than nvme on current PC but price made me reconsider.

it won't be any time soon as people still use hdd and they even slower. I can't see SATA ports going away anytime in next 10 years.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Consumer ssd & Nvme are same capacity now, same can't be said for enterprise.
Problem with nvme is form factor is too long. Unless more boards stand them vertically there are only so many you can fit, other thought is mount them on rear of motherboard.
Prices aren't the same either, main reason I didn't get 2.

ok, seems biggest ssd is 15.3tb but the 16tb nvme not far behind - https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/product/qx

M.2 NVME SSD's currently have only a small advantage in gaming compared to a SATA SSD. Usually only 1-4 seconds of difference in map loading times. It's not much compared to a magnetic drive.

But nextgen games will take advantage of directstorage API and load textures and objects as you move around the map. Then the SATA 3 drive will be obsolete. But these nextgen games are taking forever to develop, so it'll be a few years yet. By then we'll be on PCIe 5.0 or PCIe 6.0 storage.

Reactions: CountMike